diy tymar air filter

big bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how does this work? most air filters that sits out in the open that i have seen was always dirty and oily and after talking to the owner, he was always having to clean it and had lost milage doing this mod. so he wasn't a very happy camper to say the least. anybody out there that can give me the low down on this set-up:dunno or anybody that that has any experience with this set up?:rant thanks for everybodys input!!!!

Last edited:

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
all i can say is that in most cases yes it does look dirty,itll get oilly if you spill fluids on it all the time.but it works!!i did it and love it and would do it again in a heartbeat!!!ide even pay for the real tymar for my next truck!!!

Last edited:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
There is no way that giving the engine more air will reduce your mpg. I have been running a Tymar for about six years and really like it. I change the filter when it looks all dirty so appearance is not a issue for me. As far as looking oily - if it is getting oil on it you might need to fix some leaks.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
i made one for my truck, DEFINITELY no drop in mileage, and im way overdue to change the filter and i still havent seen a drop in mileage. oily? i dont know about that. why is there oil anywhere near the filter? is it a cotton filter that was over oiled?
MY DIY TYMAR.....

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
Mine is Identical to Zookie's only diff is I had my wife pick up some fine meshed Tooling (the netty fabric stuff) to cover the filter, keeps the bigger crap off ie leaves, bugs and the like.

OBS96

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'd say, if it's getting dirty, it's doing it's job, Only much better than stock.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
I've got six years on my Tymar too and change the filter once a year.
Oil? :dunno
Mine just gets gray over time.

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
How much louder is the Tymar than stock? Also, what kind of EGT drop should I see and what performance should I see out of it. I'm getting one soon, just want to know what to expect.

OBS96

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My feedback on the DIY Tymar. Hope it helps

I've got an obs, like you. I did the diy Tymar a couple weeks ago. My engine is all stock right now. I could feel a slight power improvement. You would probably feel more,because your running a chip. Nothing wrong with improving airflow.I'm running a turbo back Magnaflow exhaust,no cat.There is almost as much turbo noise coming from under the hood, as what I hear from the tailpipe. There is a throatier sound from under the hood too. I like it. I don't know about EGT temps, as I've bought gauges, but I haven't installed them yet. I didn't have access to a 4" exhaust 45', or a welder to make one. I bought a sch 40 pvc st 45', and a foot of 4" sch 40 pvc pipe. I only used about 4" of the pipe. The pvc OD is about 1/16" bigger than that of the steel exhaust pipe. I had to use a little dish soap as lube to insert the 45' into the filter. Likewise, to get the pipe into the intake boot. If you do it this way, be sure to use enough glue, when you glue the 45' to the pipe. When you insert the pipe into the 45', give it a twist to help it seal. Put glue on both pieces being glued. Wipe off any excess glue immediately. Looks better. Paint if wanted.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
How much louder is the Tymar than stock? Also, what kind of EGT drop should I see and what performance should I see out of it. I'm getting one soon, just want to know what to expect.

i dont think you will FEEL any performance gains.

your wallet will thank you when it comes time to change the filter.

compared to the stock intake that is SILENT, the DIY will be much louder. its still very quiet. under load with the turbo cranking it will start to scream from under the hood. its audible, but by no means whatsoever "loud".

basically, you will not need to up the radio wattage after installing the DIY intake. if you are listening, you will hear it, and it sounds awesome. :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg