doing headstuds

tubzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
me and the wife will be doing headstuds next weak-end.i know you have to jack up the cab for the back studs. what all do you have to take off/loosen
to get the cab up high anough? their has to be more to it than the 4 cab mounts.
we did headstud in a freinds truck but he cut up the fire wall and ac box to do his :eek: .thats not how i do things i like to keep it nice and neet.
:thanks
terry

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I cant give you any advice on what to and what not to take off to get this job done, but can you do a pictorial assay of the job for us and either post it in the WIKI or have us help you post it in the WIKI?

tubzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
I cant give you any advice on what to and what not to take off to get this job done, but can you do a pictorial assay of the job for us and either post it in the WIKI or have us help you post it in the WIKI?

i can do that but i will have to have some help with the wiki.i'm not that good with the key broad.
i have been told it's about a 8 hr job.we will fined out.
if we can do a ic,h2e i think we can do stud with out cutting anything.
i will give a full report when done.

terry

Last edited:

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't say I've done the cab on these trucks but I've done them on other trucks and if all you need to do is lift the cab up a few inches then you'll need to remove the bolts for ALL of the cab bolts should be 6, (2 @ back of cab, 2 under front floorboards, 2 @ front bumper) the ones @ the front don't have to be completely off just loose enough to allow it to pivot. Watch the fan to make sure you don't poke a hole in your radiator.

Since you're loooking to just get a couple 3 or 4" then you may only need to watch the fan your radiator hoses should be long enough and you might have to disconnect the intercooler tubing. Your A/C lines are going to want to pull the cab since they are rather specific lengths. So that's another thing to watch.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
tubzz said:
i can do that but i will have to have some help with the wiki.i'm not that good with the key broad.
i have been told it's about a 8 hr job.we will fined out.
if we can do a ic,h2e i think we can do stud with cutting anything.
i will give a full report when done.

terry
:sweet

We can help you with the WIKI if you supply some pics and some editorial of the job......... cant wait to see/hear how it turns out for you. :thumbs

tubzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
head studs are in.it wasn't as bad i thought.got started about 8:30 and was all torqued down by 3:30.the cab bolts came right out.but front two at the bumper broke off.we jack up the front driver side at the front mount tell the fan hit the shoud and the passager side stud fell in.on the driver side we had to put the jack at the first cab mount on the passager side and loosen the shoud and the driver side fell in.i didn't have to take no hoses or anything else off.i have some pic of where we put the jacks and the sequence that i torque them in.as soon as i get the truck running.i will get it to the wiki with some help.you only have to jack the cab up for the two most back stud(one on each side)the rest can be done easly.
i did the injectors today and bent a c-ring on one of the injectors.so i have to find one of those and get some body bushing since i'm there might as well do them.found some that look all dry rottin plus the front one that the bolts broke got messed up gettting the broken bolt out.
this job is very doable with the engine in the truck.just plan for broken bolts and body bushings(since you are their).i think the intercooler was a harder job
but thats is just me.
terry

Last edited:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Terry,

Nice job and nice write up. Let us know when you are ready for some help and we will give you a hand with the WIKI.

Mike

tyrfryer

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey, tubzz, I'm about to do the head gaskets on my 7.3 IDI turbo. Any idea if I'll have to jack up the cab also?

tubzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tyrfryer,you problie will have to,but i'm not for sure.i have never realy looked at the idi.you only have to jack it for the 1 stud on both sides.the rest can be done pretty easy.sorry i'm not much help,
(i just reread what you was asking if you are pulling the heads you won't have to jack the cab for that,but like towcat said they are very heavy.don't hurt your self trying to get them out)

95_stroker
i have tryed a few time to put this in the WIKI but it keeps telling me that it down.when will it be back up?

Last edited:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
tubzz said:
95_stroker
i have tryed a few time to put this in the WIKI but it keeps telling me that it down.when will it be back up?

Terry,

We are working on it. It was getting spammed to no end! So we had to shut it down to perserve the info already entered there. We are currently working on putting together a different version of a WIKI that is a little better protected.

Mike

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58