door chime sounding over 75mph

farmboy99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My truck is a n early 99 and mine dings at 74 and goes off around 72. i called the ford dealership and talked to the service guy and he told me it was a n option on fleet trucks, its programed in the computer. I just turn the radio up when it starts dingin....

silverado3500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you've unplugged the GEM (Generic Electronic Module). I had a gremlin in my truck for awhile that turned out to be that same cable you've disconnected. The GEM controls the interior lights, the door chime, and a few other things.

No door light and the things runs like a top all the way to 95 just the
chiming.
At work today i started the quest to find the stupid little thing. And i did its on the back of the fuze panel. At first glance it lookes to have two sets of about 8 or so wires coming out of each connecter. So i took the panel loose and turned it over to see that one is just in a "dummy" spot molded into the caseing i unplgged it first to see no little "prongs" for the connectors to conect to and the other one was what was really pluged in. When i unplug that one i have no lightes in the cab of the truck but the chiming does go off. And both of the connecters are the same kind but i dont want to just go plugging different connecers togeather.

Its pretty hard to explain. And i know that your confuzed by now.

Thanks Alex

cowboy2199

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Stroked383, what you are hearing is the overspeed indicator. You can go to the stealership and have them reset this to a higher speed, or just turn it off. Like Farmboy said, it's a fleet option to keep drivers below the speed limit and it defaults to 75MPH. Call a dealership with a FLEET service, and they should have sufficient experience with this kind of stuff that they can turn it off (disable) it for you.

I should know, I used to work on the Truck BCE part of the Ford Tech Hotline.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg