Door Seal= Road/Wind noise fix

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has been talked about before but:

I just did the 3/8 vinyl tubeing method today. What a difference.

Got 2, 20ft rolls of clear vinyl tubeing. 'bout $15.00 OTD, at Home Depot.

Took'm off the truck, laid'm flat on the garage floor, ran a Fishtape thru'm. Pulled each roll thru a wet sponge with lots of Dawn dish soap poored on the sponge, hooked'm to the fish tape, pulled'm back thru the door seals, re-installed'm back on the truck..... Done Deal.

Whole thing took about an hour or so.

Made a BIG dif in the noise level in the cab. I never thought my truck was THAT noisey inside, but this little trick makes a noticeable difference.

:sweet :D :sweet

JOE

bigdaddyTank

Who's your Bigdaddy?
Reaction score
Very nice, thanks for the idea of taking the trim off. I was going to try and do it on the truck. I just happen to have a fish tape to use also :sweet

Snowman269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you guys have a Lowe's, just picked up the 3/8OD,1/4ID clear vinyl tubing for 20 cents a foot, I couldn't remember how much to get, so I picked up 25 feet for $5. Did I not buy enough to do all the doors?

Mark Craig

Advertising Sponsor
Reaction score
BIG JOE,

Give me more info I have a whistling door that is driving me crazy, have to drop the window a little to stop the whislte then I get to hear the wind what a deal!!!

Sounds like you're installing the vinyl inside the hole in the weatherstrip that the window does up into when the window is closed all the way, sort of a extra cushion, am I right. Fill in the blanks please!!!!!

Mark @ DPPI

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Mark Craig said:
Sounds like you're installing the vinyl inside the hole in the weatherstrip that the window does up into when the window is closed all the way, sort of a extra cushion, am I right. Fill in the blanks please!!!!!

Mark @ DPPI
Yeap you gottit Mark,just have to spray soapy water into the circular space within the weatherstripping.

You can fish it thru like Joe did or Johnboy just fed it thru from one end but unsure if he removed the weatherstripping for the mod :cowboy:

Bill

ForumBlue

CDXX
Reaction score
BIG JOE said:
This has been talked about before but:

I just did the 3/8 vinyl tubeing method today. What a difference.

Got 2, 20ft rolls of clear vinyl tubeing. 'bout $15.00 OTD, at Home Depot.

Took'm off the truck, laid'm flat on the garage floor, ran a Fishtape thru'm. Pulled each roll thru a wet sponge with lots of Dawn dish soap poored on the sponge, hooked'm to the fish tape, pulled'm back thru the door seals, re-installed'm back on the truck..... Done Deal.

Whole thing took about an hour or so.

Made a BIG dif in the noise level in the cab. I never thought my truck was THAT noisey inside, but this little trick makes a noticeable difference.

:sweet :D :sweet

JOE
Stupid question #5,632,971.5
What the heck is "Fish Tape"?
How much tubeing would I need to do an Excursion?

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mark Craig said:
BIG JOE,

Give me more info I have a whistling door that is driving me crazy, have to drop the window a little to stop the whislte then I get to hear the wind what a deal!!!

Mark @ DPPI

Hi Mark, Nope.... It's the hole/channel in the weather strip that goes completly around the door opening. Look along the door sill, yul see the seam where the continuos piece begins and ends (I marked that seam point, for re-install cuz over time, I figured the strip had "SET" in the shape of the door opening)gently pull up on the door sill plate, pull the stripping loose ( it's not glued on)... take it completly off the truck and lay it out flat on the garage/shop floor. Do the fishtape, soap/lube, pull the tubeing thru thing.... re-install. What this does is: Fills in a Void in the weather stripping that does'nt have enough strength or thickness to provide a GOOD, TIGHT seal when the doors are closed..... A Shim, so to speak.

This is all on an Xcab..... but I would'nt think a Crew Cab would be much different :dunno

Seems like on my Xcab, the weather strip was about 15/16 feet long. 2 20ft rolls will do the job.

FWIW.... I pulled the tubeing thru, plus 3", left 3" hang'n out the other end. when I re-installed it, I tucked the extra 3" into the begining end (past the seam) That made it seamless. Make any sence ??

JOE

ForumBlue

CDXX
Reaction score
Mark Craig said:
BIG JOE,

Mark @ DPPI
Mark,
I'm under the impression that this is for the door seals not the window seals. Could someone please clear this up for us?
Nevermind, Joe types to fast for me.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
ForumBlue said:
Mark,
I'm under the impression that this is for the door seals not the window seals. Could someone please clear this up for us?
Nevermind, Joe types to fast for me.
Yeap this mod is for the door frame mounted weatherstripping.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg