Door Seal= Road/Wind noise fix

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
ForumBlue said:
Stupid question #5,632,971.5
What the heck is "Fish Tape"?
How much tubeing would I need to do an Excursion?

A fishtape is used by electricians to "fish" wire in walls or conduit. :D

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't remove mine from my 03 excursion to do it...
just rolled it back at the top - "borrowed" my wifes fancy little kitchen liquid soap thingy (Shhh, don't tell her :) )

opened up the weep hole and squirted it in....
At the bottom of the doors there is a large gap - but I preferred to start at the top and allow gravity to help the soap make it around...
used a small plug in the end of the tubing so it would "push" the liquid soap out in front of it...
kept it lubed as it went in and kept lubing ahead of it...
and pushed....
sometimes it would bind, just back a bit and squeeze where it bound to help it around the corner or past the obstruction....

for four doors on the Ex it took a little under 25 foot per door...

ForumBlue

CDXX
Reaction score
I couldn't help myself. I went to lowes picked up 54' of tubeing and thought it was going to be way too much, but figured for $.20 p/foot why not have some laying around the garage instead of comming up short. Well when I got the second one done it looked like it was going to be close. When I took the next one off and laid it on the floor I got out the measuring tape and found that the moldings are somewhere in the area of 13' 4' to 13' 6". Well what do you know simple math says 13' 6" x 4 = 54' (whew). Actually I'm very used to going to the parts store numerous times during most projects, so no big deal. I just got lucky this time. I imagine that means double trips on the next project to even things out. Anyway with them off the truck and flat on the floor the soap makes them slide though without any trouble at all I haven't driven it yet so don't know about the noise reduction. Just idleing in the garage I really couldn't tell if there was any difference. But even if it's minimal the price ($10) and the labor (1/2 hour) makes it worth it. One thing I did notice was that the doors seem to pop just a little bit when you pull the handle. So I'm going to call this the Power Assist Door Mod (PADM). Check my sig. Also I'm getting a copywrite on PADM, so don't get any big ideas :p .

Last edited:

Mark Craig

Advertising Sponsor
Reaction score
WORKS GREAT, DID IT TOOK 3 20 FOOT ROLLS FOR A CREW CAB, THE LAST REAR DOOR USED TWO DIFFERENT SHORT LEFT OVER PIECES AND HAD 4 FEET LEFT OVER!

Super mods and the reason we keep paying to advertise here, great ideas just keep popping up, thanks guys!

Mark @ DPPI

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mark Craig said:
WORKS GREAT, DID IT TOOK 3 20 FOOT ROLLS FOR A CREW CAB, THE LAST REAR DOOR USED TWO DIFFERENT SHORT LEFT OVER PIECES AND HAD 4 FEET LEFT OVER!

Super mods and the reason we keep paying to advertise here, great ideas just keep popping up, thanks guys!

Mark @ DPPI

Pics, Pics, does someone have pics????

Barrett

CHPMustang

Reaction score
architect-builder said:
Pics, Pics, does someone have pics????

Barrett
Good to see ya back over here Barrett ;)

The owner of our Excursion wants to do the mod to her truck and I get to photo document the procedure :sweet

Snowman269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BIG JOE said:
This has been talked about before but:

I just did the 3/8 vinyl tubeing method today. What a difference.

Got 2, 20ft rolls of clear vinyl tubeing. 'bout $15.00 OTD, at Home Depot.

Took'm off the truck, laid'm flat on the garage floor, ran a Fishtape thru'm. Pulled each roll thru a wet sponge with lots of Dawn dish soap poored on the sponge, hooked'm to the fish tape, pulled'm back thru the door seals, re-installed'm back on the truck..... Done Deal.

Whole thing took about an hour or so.

Made a BIG dif in the noise level in the cab. I never thought my truck was THAT noisey inside, but this little trick makes a noticeable difference.

:sweet :D :sweet

JOE

How did you connect the vinyl hose to the fishtape to pull it through? I'm going to do this tomorrow.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Snowman269 said:
How did you connect the vinyl hose to the fishtape to pull it through? I'm going to do this tomorrow.

I cut a slit in the vinyl, rolled/pinched it together so it made a piont, melted the tip (to hold it in a bullit shape). Twist drilled a small hole thru it, hooked it to the fishtape with some small wire (Safety wire), lathered up the hose.... slipped right thru.

;) :)

JOE

Also..... Prolly overkill, but when yer work'n by yer self: I took a squeeze bulb and squirted soapy water in one end of the stripping, until it came out the other end.... made that hose SLIDE thru.... REAL EASY.

Last edited:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did this mod...wrote up pretty extensive directions on tds.

my biggest issue w/ it is that everyone in my family, but me,
is having a tough time closing the doors on the first try...i cringe
everytime they go to shut the door.

what ive TRIED to do is force myself to be the LAST person
to close the door...it seems everyone is able to close their door
on the 1st try this way.

over all im happy w/ the end results...i wish'd id done it before
i lined the entire freekin interior w/ hushmat ! :doh: admittedly
its all complementary and adds to the over all sound deadening...which
is good

Last edited:

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
Good to see ya back over here Barrett ;)

The owner of our Excursion wants to do the mod to her truck and I get to photo document the procedure :sweet

Thanks, CHP! :thumbs

I have a pretty healthy account at both Home Depot and Lowes. Will be doing this to both rigs. (She's not looking right ;) )

Will be doing this procedure after I complete the exterior speakers in my bed for our Drive-In Movie nights. -popcorn

Barrett

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg