double din install

missingsc331

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just ordered a double din pioneer receiver and im wondering if i will need an install kit or if the outer surface of the screen will match up with the dash, in other words, will there be a gap without the install kit?

Coastal6.0

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yes, you will need a kit to make it look good. W/out the the kit you won't be able to mount it in the dash. Also if you have the factory sub make sure you ask for the correct harness. It will have 2 harnesses in the bag, one that terminates to bare wire and one that has RCAs on the end. Let me know if it has nav. built in or not and i'll let you know how to bypass it so you can watch your DVDs. You will be extremely happy w/ any pioneer unit you buy.

missingsc331

Full Access Member
Reaction score
coastal, i purchased the AVH-P4000DVD, however, i didnt get the navigation hook up. I've seen the bypass so you can watch dvd's and ride but dont know how to do it. could you walk me through it?
thanks a lot,
Daniel

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That needs to be clearer. The green wire entering the harness needs to be moved from teh slot it is in, and put in the slot above it. If youlook, there is a little tab that needs to be depressed and then it pulls right out. Then you can insert it in the hole above on the harness in the same relative position. I have the same player and really like it, though I paid more for it when I got it. If you go to www.wvic411.com it is a BBS similar to this one, and there is a section under Avic-D3 titled Hacks. There are step by step instructions there.

Coastal6.0

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I've never moved a pin on the 4000, but on the D3 & Z2s you do. I usually run the green(parking brake) to a toggle switch then the other side of the toggle goes to ground. It resets itself when you turn off the ignition and you have to turn the switch off then back again after you start the truck.

INTERNATIONALPOWER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That needs to be clearer. The green wire entering the harness needs to be moved from teh slot it is in, and put in the slot above it. If youlook, there is a little tab that needs to be depressed and then it pulls right out. Then you can insert it in the hole above on the harness in the same relative position. I have the same player and really like it, though I paid more for it when I got it. If you go to www.wvic411.com it is a BBS similar to this one, and there is a section under Avic-D3 titled Hacks. There are step by step instructions there.

Yeah i did the same with my d3 buth I think it might be different for 4000. this is what the site said when i searched
AVH-P4000DVD

INTERNATIONALPOWER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright,

I did some research on the different by-passes for the D3 vs the 4000. AVIC411.com is where I found most of the information.

The D3
1. Remove the mute wire (yellow and black).
2. Place the Mute wire in the slot directly above where you removed it from.
3. Using a wire tap connect the mute wire (yellow and black) to the ground (black).
4. Then wire tap the parking brake lead (green wire) to the ground.

The 4000
1.You take the Parking Brake Wire (Green ) and connect it to a 12v switch terminal.
2.Then take the Ground (Black) and connect it to the other terminal on the switch.

To watch the dvd on the 4000:
1. Put the DVD in the Unit.
2. A screen will come up with "Video Viewing is Unavalible while in Motion".
3.Flip the 12v switch.
4.A 2nd Screen will come up.
5.Press OK in the bottom right corner of the unit.

Last edited:

Coastal6.0

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
VSS is purple & white, do not ground it. Leave it alone if you are not going to hook it up, but you do need to ground the green as stated. It is the parking brake wire. W/o the VSS hooked up it will take longer to calibrate the nav. but eventually after a few trips around the block it'll pick you up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58