Question DPF Regeneration

hntnv

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased my 6.4l and I am not sure about the exhaust filter cleaning. I tried to search the site to find info and either I am not very computer literate or there is not much info on the questions that I have. I have just over 1600 miles on the truck and it seems to clean the filter alot. I have counted 6 times. It goes through it cleaning process anytime I drive more than 100 miles at one time. I recently pulled my 20' boat to Lake Mead (about 900 miles, round trip) it went through the cleaning process 2 times on the way there and 2 times on the way home. How often do they ussually go through this process? Also, while it is cleaning the filter the boost guage on the dash surges. It surges anywhere from 5-10 psi boost while it is cleaning. Are either of these conditions normal? What can I do to get a more productive regeneration? It doesn't seem to affect the truck at all. In fact, pulling the boat I still got 13 miles per gallon. Not as good as the 7.3, but I'm not complaining for a brand new truck. Thanks for the info...

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this sounds perfectly normal to me, from what I know of the dpf system. It will regen more or less depending on driving conditions.

EmptyDub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That does seem a little excessive, but not TOO far away from the norm. I've got about 16K miles on mine now, and it usually goes into regen at least once per fill-up (probably 200-300 miles). Part of it may be just breaking-in your new engine, but it also depends on the load you're carrying (if any) and how heavy your foot is. I know if it's been a while since mine has gone into regen mode, and I really step on it... a few minutes later she starts screaming "CLEANING EXHAUST FILTER". Also- the less you let it idle, the better. Supposedly, the more you let it sit and idle the faster the filter clogs up.

As far as the turbo surge, I would guess thats probably not too uncommon either (especially while under a load). My turbo doesn't really surge, but my RPMs go up just a hair and there's a very slight loss of power. I just had my computer re-flashed under a recall that was supposed to reduce the amount of times it goes into regen, and it did seem to help. You might check with your dealer and see if you're computer has been flashed with the latest updates. I'd also tell them your symptoms and see what they say. I'm definitely NOT a mechanic (much less a diesel mechanic), so there's a possibility that it's something that needs to be looked at. Let us know what you find out!

EmptyDub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I AGREE!! :sly But at this point, THAT option is only suited for certified diesel mechanics and rich people that can fix/pay for repairs not covered by the voided warranty! :tounge

johnkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your right ! its just a chance to take that i took hahah i get my delete pipe friday trackin that sob like a hawk on UPS.com hahah but i wont huck my dpf or sell it to juan or jose on the side of the street ill throw it in storage for when i need it haah

hntnv

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have really tried to avoid idling as much as I can. From my opinion I idle the truck very little. I would say that one time it went into regen it may have not been a productive because I was getting low on fuel. It was 105 miles till next gas station and didn't want to chance it. When I pulled into the gas station it had said it was cleaning the filter. I let it idle while I waited for an available pump and by the time I got to fuel up it was off. Then it was like 150 miles later and it went into regen again. It doesn't seem to affect power. I guess I am going to ask dealer what the normal is.:dunno.

EmptyDub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thing that I forgot to mention- if you kill the engine while it's in regen mode, the filter-cleaning will resume where it left off the next time you start the truck. It will continue to do this until it's satisfied the filter is cleaned. It usually waits for the engine to come up to normal operating temps before it resumes cleaning. If the engine was slow to warm up due to lower outside temps you probably could drive a while before it would continue regen.

In other words, it may go into regen mode every time you drive the truck for two or three days in a row if all you do is run to the corner store and back. In a case such as that, it might SEEM like it's excessive but it's really just the computer playing catch-up! :dizzy

kar83

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just had mine in (08 250) for the manditory recall. Since then the CLEANING EXHAUST FILTER has come on at least a dozen times in less then a 1000 miles and when it does I get approx 1/2 the MPG (it came on the one time for about 100 miles- talk about a panic attack). I do not notice any boost increase or rpm increase during it though. But on the highway I went from 19.2 to 11.6 for about 100 miles. Does something have to recalabrated?
One last thing. I'm a newbe and do not know what DPF means. Please help.:confused:

EmptyDub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DPF=Diesel Particulate Filter. It's "kinda" like a second catalytic converter located in your exhaust pipe (looks like a really big muffler). It's supposed to catch all of the black soot and lower harmful emissions- better for the environment. However, it does this by adding raw fuel to the DPF and heating it up. That's why you see the drop in MPGs. Hope this helps. I'm sure I don't have all of the technical specs and details correct, but you get the idea anyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58