Question DPF Regeneration

kar83

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Because this is happening much much more frequently, should I have the dealership look at it or is this common from here on out?

EmptyDub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again, the frequency of it going into regen mode really depends on how heavy your foot is and how much of a load you're carrying. Mine usually goes into regen about once every tank full. Twelve times in 1,000 miles for ME would be a little excessive 'cause I drive like an old man! :fogey But if you like to launch it from every stop, and can't keep your foot out of it, then that sounds about right.
:burnit

If you still suspect that there's something wrong, I'd take it in and let 'em look at- all they can say is "It's normal". At least you'd have it documented that you brought it in if something breaks later. :sweet

kar83

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
No not at all. We bought this for pulling a 5th wheel, which we hope to do so here shortly. So at this time we haven't been loading it up. I try to get the best gas mileage I can while realizing that after all this is a 6.4L diesel.

hntnv

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Since I wrote the original post it has only gone into regeneration once in about 300 miles. It seems like it not as often. Love the truck. Just wanted to make sure that it wasn't acting out of the ordinary. I did notice that while it is cleaning, the MPG's drop. Some of it might be that having a new truck I still like to open it up every now and again. My son gives me a hard time cause I like to race the kids driving the hot rod four cylinders. I'll probably never out grow that.:stir

kar83

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The dealership diagnostic shows that there is nothing wrong. Not really a surprise there. The TSB says that the 6.4L can expect the CLEANING EXHAUST FILTER warning to occur approx. every 100-600 miles and last 10-40 minutes. The intervals are random. Without being nasty he said I'll just have to live w/ it. He had no answer for why it never happened for the first 5000 miles but after bringing it in for an oil change and having the recall for a code reset done it has happened approx 12 times in 1000 miles.

hntnv

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Mine is in the 100-600 range. I haven't been watching how long they last. I am getting close to the first oil change and will talk to my dealership then. Until then I guess I will drive as usual.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58