photos Driveline Inspection

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
The problem I have with your ramps is that there is no flat spot on top, so it is quite possible for the truck to roll down the ramp in the event of some sort of failure (shifted out of park/ park brake breaks or is disconnected)
If you go with a pair of 5 ton stands, they are quite stable on flat concrete. I even have a couple sets of 12 ton stands that go about 24" tall and we will set a whole truck on 4 to take out a transmission.

You may have something loose somewhere, you just have to find it. Do you get a clang or a bang with the jerk?

I thought about not having a flat spot too Roy, but I couldn't find anything readily available to make that work.

There is no noise when the "lunge" occurs. The diesel tech suggested
tranny mounts when he road down the road with me the other day.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
I just lost a friend this June under his car. He was experienced with working on his mustang from years of modding it. your ramps belong in a fire.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
OK OK OK OK. I promise to never pull my trucks on those ramps as they
are configured ever again. I do appreciate everyone's concern.

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bama,
the carrier bearing is relatively cheap. problem is its pressed on.I recently cut my bearing in pieces to get to the bottom race that was pressed on to the shaft. I then used a small cutting wheel to cut that piece. Once that was split, it slid off. Not the right way to do it, but it did not hurt anything. I had the proper size pvc pipe. I pounded the new bearing on with that. The pipe matched up perfect with the bottom race. It did not hurt the bearing going on. The outer rubber i cut off. Then the outer bearing shell cut it in 2 halves.
I also on my other truck, poked a small hole in the rubber boot concealing the slip joint. I forced a wd40 plastic tip thingy in there and sprayed a bit. Extra fluid just came back out the hole.I made it at the bottom to drain excess. The wd loosened up the slip joint.
Easier then getting new clamps to hold em on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58