photos Driveline Inspection

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
I need some help here to see how all of this looks. I know what some of the things are, and others I do not.

My mobile shop ramps :D :lmao
dl1.jpg

Carrier Bearing Photos
dl2.jpg

dl6.jpg

I am pushing up in this picture and was able to push it about an 1/8" up.
Is that normal?
dl3.jpg

Transfer Case joint
dl4.jpg

Rear end joint (this doesn't look right, is it leaking?)
dl9.jpg

Slip Joint connection
dl8.jpg

What is the best procedure for taking the drive shaft out to service it?

If that play in the carrier bearing is too much and needs replacing, is it just a simple remove the old one and put a new one back in?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The center bearing is rubber mounted, so some movement will occur. If you are not having any vibrations in the drive shaft, let it go. If you take apart the drive shaft, makr each end and the mating part so you can put it back together the same way that it came apart. You will get vibrations big time if you get it wrong. This applies to both ends and the u-joints.

Dave

dpantazis

Reaction score
bama-

next time you are at wally whirld, buy some rhino ramps!

cuz if the truck don;t kill you when it falls, the mrs prolly will. or someone like me or Pb will drive down and do it if she is too chicken.

i know i am busting your chops, you know i luv ya, i don;t want anything bad to happen to you.

i dont think that you need to pull the shaft. but if you did, you take the bolts out off the bearing caps on the flanged holding the ujoints. then the bolts holding the carrier bearing on the underside of the truck. soak them all good with kroil.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
the shaft into the rear diff = leaking....that is exactly what mine was doing - they had to speedy sleeve it......and now it is leaking AGAIN - looks like your pix............

what dave said = if it ain't broke don't fix it

wilson111

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
bama the play in the center bearing is ok. the main thing to look for is the condition of the rubber around it. the rear diff. is seeping a little but it will be okay until you have nothing to do on a rainy day. btw you have a really nice truck! :sweet oh.. the u joints, as long as you cant move them any you should be good! the needles should have a snug fit in the caps. yeah bro! get some ramps!!

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
I knew my chops would get busted for the ramps. The only scary part is the second story edition on top of the railroad ties. I have always just pulled it up on the first block, but this time I wanted plenty of room to move around. Sorry, I will try and do better.

I have actually been meaning to get some railroad ties and nail 2 together width ways
so I can just pull the truck up on all 4 tires.

So I guess all in all it wouldn't be to bad to at least grease the slip joint?

What would need to be done on the rear end to fix that?

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Ok, I'll go easy on you with the ramps.

THROW THEM AWAY AND BUY SOMETHING PROPER FOR THE JOB :rant

Either get some ramps, or use a jack and heavy jack stands for the job...trust me I lift heavy stuff every day and bad things can happen VERY fast

I just like ya too much to see you get hurt ;)

I'd say if the rear diff seal isn't leaking enough to even drip, I'd leave it for now UNLESS there is noticeable movement in the pinion shaft bearings.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
To tell you the truth, I feel a lot safer with the car hauling ramps than I do with a couple of jack stands. Those scare me, don't like 'em.

As for the drive line, When I push the go go pedal I get a double jerk, kinda like a lunge and when I let off the pedal, it lunges back so to speak.

Even when it shifts I get a lunge.

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
To tell you the truth, I feel a lot safer with the car hauling ramps than I do with a couple of jack stands. Those scare me, don't like 'em.
The problem I have with your ramps is that there is no flat spot on top, so it is quite possible for the truck to roll down the ramp in the event of some sort of failure (shifted out of park/ park brake breaks or is disconnected)
If you go with a pair of 5 ton stands, they are quite stable on flat concrete. I even have a couple sets of 12 ton stands that go about 24" tall and we will set a whole truck on 4 to take out a transmission.
As for the drive line, When I push the go go pedal I get a double jerk, kinda like a lunge and when I let off the pedal, it lunges back so to speak.

Even when it shifts I get a lunge.

You may have something loose somewhere, you just have to find it. Do you get a clang or a bang with the jerk?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58