Driveline shudder 2011 F250

SD70M

SuperDuty
Reaction score
Hello all,

Just picked up a 2011 F250 CCLB 6.7 a couple of weeks ago and towed the fifth wheel with it once already. I noticed a shudder in the driveline, taking off in first. It felt like driving over rumble strips. I also towed my travel trailer today and noticed the shudder again, only not as pronounced. Anyone have a clue as to what might be causing this?

Gary

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe the splines on the driveshaft need re-greasing ? Might check the carrier bearing for play too ?

Joe

SD70M

SuperDuty
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply... I did buy a tube of Ford PTFE lube part number XG=8 and will use that on the splines. You are referring to the slip yoke, right? This is a 2011 truck, with only 19,000 miles on it... I wouldn't think those splines need greasing, but you never know!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply... I did buy a tube of Ford PTFE lube part number XG=8 and will use that on the splines. You are referring to the slip yoke, right? This is a 2011 truck, with only 19,000 miles on it... I wouldn't think those splines need greasing, but you never know!

Yes, the Slip Yoke (sorry).

I'm assuming by your post.. It's a >New To You< 2011. Did the remainder of the 36K warrenty come with it ? If so, with only 19K on it.. maybe You could/should take it to FORD for some help figureing it out.. if greasing the slip yoke.. and the carrier bearing is okay ? How 'bout a bad U-joint ?

Joe

Prolly a "DUH".. but if the PO had it in any water.. The spline/u-joint seals can leak ? whala.. the Grease is now Milk ?

Last edited:

SD70M

SuperDuty
Reaction score
That sounds like a possibility. I have no idea if it's been in much water, but I guess I will find out.. I do know that otherwise, the PO took great care of it.. If I didn't know it already, I would have sworn it was just off the assembly line. As far as taking it to the dealer for this... They would probably have it in the shop two or three times and still not be able to find the problem. It only happens when I am towing. BTW: the remainder of the warranties did transfer over...

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a possibility. I have no idea if it's been in much water, but I guess I will find out.. I do know that otherwise, the PO took great care of it.. If I didn't know it already, I would have sworn it was just off the assembly line. As far as taking it to the dealer for this... They would probably have it in the shop two or three times and still not be able to find the problem. It only happens when I am towing. BTW: the remainder of the warranties did transfer over...

;tu :coffee

Let us know what you find out ?

Joe

ro90u14

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 2013 F350, with only 16,500 miles. I pull a 5th wheel (15,000 lbs) and experience this shudder only when taking off in 1st gear, but is smooth's out quickly. This does not happen all the time, but on occasion. Any thoughts

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One question on both of these trucks. Do they have a limited slip rear differential? I have experienced in the past, on higher mileage trucks, when the clutches in the diff start to wear, when towing a heavy load, I've have felt a shudder. This is really noticeable if you are doing any turning at all, where the diff is having to "slip the clutches". We had a 97 F-250 Light Duty (A 7 lug truck) and my 03 Excursion, have done this. Both trucks had over 100,000 miles on them when this started.....

Just another thought to look at. I would hope 2 trucks this new, this is not the problem.....

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The posi in most of my F-350 chatter when starting out and turning. There is some sort of additive you can add, but I never did. It did not seem to hurt anything, just annoying.

Dave

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ro90u14, I am friends with a lot of fifth-wheel owners and a bunch of us love our Ford trucks, F-250 and F-350.
Yes a few have had this shudder you speak of on take off. After a doing a lot of things to our trucks trying to
find out the trouble, the one thing that stopped it on the first try was putting air bags on the back and lifting the
rear of the truck bed just a little stopped the shudder. Seams it was coming from the drive line.
Good Luck.
Doug

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg