driveshaft carrier bearing ?'s

nswsparky

All my stuff
Reaction score
well I got my new to me 01 crew cab regular box 350 home and while unloading it off the trailer I hooked the carrier bearing on the driveshaft with an errant loose piece of metal on the trailer and bent up the carrier bearing. I ordered a new one which will be here on monday but I cannot get the old carreir bearing off the driveshaft is is a press fit with retainer? or can I still keep beating on it to get it off.
truck.jpg

its a long biatch. had to take the ramps off the trailer to pull it down the road.

Last edited:

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
It is pressed on and off. I had my local transmission shop do it for me. You will save some money by pulling the drive shaft yourself and providing them with the bearing.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
It is pressed on and off. I had my local transmission shop do it for me. You will save some money by pulling the drive shaft yourself and providing them with the bearing.

might take them five minutes to press it on.. if you know them, you might be able to trade some pizza's for the job... buying these guys lunch on a Saturday goes a long way...

if you have an air chisel, you can knock the old one off first.. polish the shaft back down where you nicked it..

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Once you get that big assed nut off, the u-joint yoke with the splines should come off. The nut was TIGHT, I almost broke my vise loose from my work bench doing so. Once I got the nut off, just a few whacks with a mallet and the splined shaft came loose.

Yours might take a bit more to get that initial "stick-tion" busted loose. Try some penetrating oil like PB Blaster too.

Last edited:

nswsparky

All my stuff
Reaction score
Which big nut are you talking about I have both pieces of the shaft off and apart but don't see any big nut. are you talking about the pinion nut, in that case I don't need that off.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Which big nut are you talking about I have both pieces of the shaft off and apart but don't see any big nut. are you talking about the pinion nut, in that case I don't need that off.

Big nut in the middle of the u-joint saddle right next to the carrier bearing.

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i ripped the rubber off mine. I then cut thru the bearing top race with a cutting wheel. mI cut on both sides so it was 2 pieces. It came right off then the bearings fell out.The bottom race stayed on. I used my cutting wheel and caefuly cut thru it. One a cut was thru it it opened up enough to slide off. I pounded the new one on with a piece of pvc pipe that just fit over the driveshaft and rested on the bottom sleeve of the bearing.
I polished the nick i put in the shaft out a bit. But was not that big of a concern cause the new bearing goes over it and it wont effect it. But i was careful with the cut.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
if you use that method, all you need to do is score it, then burp it with an air chisel.
they pop right off.

nswsparky

All my stuff
Reaction score
mine does not have a big nut by the carrier bearing, huh. I got the old bearing off with a cutoff wheel. Just waiting for the new one to show up at O'riley. I will try the PVC trick since I live 15 miles from any company with a press.

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the pvc pipe will bang it right on. Just dont install backwards(not sure if it matters but theres a direction for the thing)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58