Help Needed Drivetrain Issues?

madkaw

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
About a week ago I was pulling a 8500lb trailer. When I got off the exit, while braking and making a right hand turn, the truck made a sudden jolt and a loud pop. Having no more issues, I dismissed it for wet pavement and wheel slip.

Yesterday (a week later) in a parking lot it did it so violently, I thought the front driveshaft fell out and caught on the pavement.

Just now I could feel it catching in reverse going straight. I've checked fluids in transmission, transfer case, and differentials and all seems good.

What's going on???

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Does the tranny fluid smell burnt? It could also be your posi in the rear end, since it happened in a turn. Several of my trucks popped when turned.

Dave

madkaw

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Trans fluid comes up good.
I had a professional mechanic take a look, and said the ball joints are bad, but he couldn't see anything that's gonna fall off.

Guess its one of those things that'll have to get worse before it can get better.

madkaw

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
FIXED!
Turns out that the pin and clip for one of the ebrake shoes got pulled inside the rotor/drum. Not sure how the head and all got thru the backing plate, but about 5 pieces of scrap metal was floating around in the "drum." The rotor seems to be in good shape, no cracks. Not sure why you couldn't hear it all the time, but looks like we got it fixed.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg