Driving & Towing 5th wheel

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Did you see the post in the section above, about Ford replacing the brake pads in a 2011? Fixed the noisy brake problem.

Dave

Seismic Truck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Talked to my friend and there is a software fix for it, (i suspect that it either advances or retards the injectors). Had you notice if the bounce was in sync with your engine speed or ground speed.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to the dealer because the bounce in my 08 with the OEM tires and the tires were replaced and I still have the bounce with the new tires. So there going to put another brand tire on the truck. Force balance only works if the tires are round. Both sets on my truck are not round so I get to pick the tire.:sweet

I would go to a really good tire shop and see if there out of round first. It only takes one tire to give you the problem.

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
Mount a camera under your truck aimed at the rear end u-joint. You will be surprised at how much your pinion angle changes under a load. You could be gitting a bind under load. You can fix it by putting on bars like truck pullers use but with a new truck it really shouldn't happen.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
I went to the dealer because the bounce in my 08 with the OEM tires and the tires were replaced and I still have the bounce with the new tires. So there going to put another brand tire on the truck. Force balance only works if the tires are round. Both sets on my truck are not round so I get to pick the tire.:sweet

I would go to a really good tire shop and see if there out of round first. It only takes one tire to give you the problem.

I would have to totally agree with this.

Also if its new. then go grab another truck off the lot and drive that. Also have them grab a set of wheels off another (diff tires) truck and slap them on yours and take it for a drive. Minimal work for the elimination proses.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just another .03 ?

1. Weigh the truck for a TRUE, Known, Front & Rear Axle weight*.

2. Go to the >Tire Manufactures Web Site Chart<, to get the recommended PSI, per tire, for the specific tire you have, per axle.

Try that. If that doesn't work...

3. Get all 4 (6) tires Shaved (Sip'd) to get them True Round. Then Balanced.

4. Install a set of aftermarket (better than OEM) Shocks that will fit your use needs.

* Do steps 1 & 2 for a known axle weight, with your Trailer or Load.. on the axles too.

Sure has worked for me.. for 50+ years. :dunno

Joe

Seismic Truck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I think I should clarify, my bounce/shimmy is not in sync with vehicle speed, but engine RPM's (the bounce/shimmy starts slow then progrresses and startes over when it shifts to second gear). I would think this rules everything out aft of the flywheel. I think the next time I have my trailer hooked up I will simply allow the truck to idle up to speed rather than giving it some pedal.

tankerdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup
my 350 towboss killed you empty so i ran 30 lbs of air in each rear tire when i was emtpy. helped some
Ford also had a TSB for bouncing trucks at 45mph they add a big dampener on the rear frame that took some of resonance vibes down a notch

only other cure is to rip out the springs and go full air ride.

I don't know if I'd rip out ALL the springs. That full air-ride stuff is REAL nice, but it's also expensive.

Considering that airing up dually tires is a true PITA without even MORE aftermarket items, I bet you'd like to NOT have to mess with the air pressure every time you aren't towing or hauling something.

So, to that end, think about taking all but the last one or two leaves of the springs out, and installing Firestone Ride-Rite airbags. Those airbags are a hell of alot easier to air up or down than any tires, especially if you opt for the air compressor that is available. This option may require shorter u-bolts for the leaves that are still on the truck.

That way, you get a nice, soft ride when you're not loaded or towing, and when it is time to load it up, you've got the capacity to to carry just about anything you want.

Racinghcr

Racinghcr
Reaction score
I have a 2011 F350 SWLB 4x4 and tow a 40ft 5th wheel that weighs 14500lbs. The truck has more then enough power and gets great fuel mileage empty and towing. My problem is the truck seems to bounce while empty going down the road. The dealer has had my truck for 5 weeks total to fix the problem. A field service engineer from Ford told them to do a road force balance. They did and it still accures.
When I hook up to my 5er 1st & 2nd gear rattle your teeth out. I was told that there is so much torque that it is causing the driveshaft to wrap.
With 1000's sold someone else must have this problem.
Hitch weight is 2100lbs
Rear suspension (AIR RIDE) Air Bags are a great addition to keep the truck level when towing. You can air them down to 12-15 pounds for regular driving. They are really a huge help when towing heavy trailers at a relatively reasonable price. Not sure if this would help as much in your case--good luck!

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
I think I should clarify, my bounce/shimmy is not in sync with vehicle speed, but engine RPM's (the bounce/shimmy starts slow then progrresses and startes over when it shifts to second gear). I would think this rules everything out aft of the flywheel. I think the next time I have my trailer hooked up I will simply allow the truck to idle up to speed rather than giving it some pedal.

engine speed vibration/shimmy huh? bad torque converter? 2011... lemon law?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58