Duallies on ice.

s d mills

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got one for y'all. Back when my buddy Will borrowed my truck for a weekend and wrote a review article on it, he mentioned it was squirrelly on ice and he had to lock up and shift into 4x4. I've owned the truck for three months today....most fun I've ever had in a vehicle while keeping my clothes on....I've never locked into 4x4 and I wouldn't know it worked if he hadn't said something. So, here's the dealio for you dually-os:

This dually and all I've owned and driven in the past have driven like they're on rails through snow and on ice. Givens/qualifications are, I don't drive like one of Joey Chitwood's Hell Drivers and I always keep good rubber on my vehicles.

What say you, highway heros?

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
I spun my 02 dually around once on an entrance ramp with drop off on the right , that had black ice. nice slow spin. it was neat, especially after i got to work and changed underwear

ranger boy

Banned User
Reaction score
here it doesnt snow, it ices up, and every year we'd take out the dually and just go crazy on doing doughnuts in it. nobody could believe that that truck could do all that just cause it was 8000 lbs.

s d mills

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hah....I remember one of those days. Southbound on I-35 above the Metroplex and took the 35W ramp headed for Waco. Going marginally too fast and had to get heavy in the binders....Katie bar the door. Out on 35W there was one of those CA Chips wrecks....bullhauler had scattered livestock all over the superslab and vehicles were everywhere, pointed in every direction and all the flashing lights made it look like a Christmas scene. That was back in the Winter of 81-82. I took it as justification for a badly needed nap....shut 'er down with the 4-ways on. Woke up three hours later wondering why I was parked in the middle of the interstate with vehicles whizzing by me on both sides. I love Texas....you can nap anywhere but in a lollipop park in your vehicle.

Your comment and mine not apropos....an M-1 Abrams would have swapped ends under same circumstances.:roflmao

s d mills

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, Robert....if anyone had to describe me in 9095 bytes, it couldn't be done better than this:
lmao.gif

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dually trucks have a larger "contact patch". Larger contact patch equals lower "pounds per square inch". Lower PSI equals less "bite" into the ice.

There is a fine line between too much and too little contact patch tho. Tread design and siping plays a lot into it too.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
s d mills said:
BTW, Robert....if anyone had to describe me in 9095 bytes, it couldn't be done better than this:
lmao.gif
dude you lost me right fast on that one :dunno
could be cause i am suffering form post traumatic shock fron my office pals getting layed off
it sort of made me hungry :eek: slackers be gone :eek:

s d mills

Full Access Member
Reaction score
powerboatr said:
dude you lost me right fast on that one :dunno
could be cause i am suffering form post traumatic shock fron my office pals getting layed off
it sort of made me hungry :eek: slackers be gone :eek:

Bottom line in your siggy....Post #2

Rex-a-FORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
Dually trucks have a larger "contact patch". Larger contact patch equals lower "pounds per square inch". Lower PSI equals less "bite" into the ice.

There is a fine line between too much and too little contact patch tho. Tread design and siping plays a lot into it too.

Yep, I agree.........it definitely is embarassing to get stuck on wet grass with a four wheel drive duallie-mad .............but it happens..........believe me-mad ........it happens...:cussing:

My son thought it was funny when he had to hook on to me with his Dodge:cussing:...............I'll never live that one down....:(

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58