Help Needed Dull mystery rattle in my SD

Deerjager

Meister Gewehr
Reaction score
Hope to get some more ideas on here about a rattle I have not been able to trace. I have a dull rattle when I go over bumps in my '01 F250 4X4. It is coming from behind and below the vehicle, as heard from the driver's seat. I cannot feel thumps in the floor board with bare feet either.:dunno

I have checked the exhaust system, spare, fuel tank and loose items in the storage tray behind the rear seat. No luck. Truck has 69K, so U-Joints are not a problem. I cannot find any areas that show rubbing that might clue me in on a source.

Thought maybe the camper shell was loose. Last Friday, I took off the camper shell and installed new, thicker weather stripping and installed an extra set of clamps. I now have 8 clamps on a SB camper shell. Still have the rattle.

I am out of ideas and hope somebody has a suggestion.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clean & Re-grease the splines on the D-shaft carrier bearing slip joint shaft ?

:dunno

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
Sway bar bushings can cause this type of noise. So can loose shocks, esp the top mount.

Dave :)

x2 on the sway bar bushings! Mine went out in the front twice! Never had trouble with the back ones...but that could def be it!

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Heres a funny culprit for a noise! My gf's early 99 had a rattle up front. We just put new axle seals and needle bearings in the hubs. Also did the front and rear brakes. Had a rattle up front, almost like a caliper was loose or somethin. Well the center cap on the dick cepek wheels was loose in the front right wheel. It wasnt fitting tight anymore so it would rattle all the time. Sometimes its the smallest and stupidest things haha:innocent

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the shock mount grommets. That were mine was.You would only hear it on speed bumps and holes in the road.

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
x3 on the Track Bar / Sway Bar bushings.... mine are bad, and there is a clunk/pop from under the truck. I got under there an looked. If I supported the truck by the frame, I could raise and lower the axle, when it got to the right place, you would see the bolt in the bushing move, and hear the noise. So now I need to replace the bushings.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg