Dyno results

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
Just got back from the dyno and I got the best numbers from my economy setting. It did a 254hp and 594lbs of torque. This was on a superflow dyno. The dyno guy started at 40mph and went up in like 10mph stages up to 80mph. The truck never even smoked or pulled. I thought you brought it up a way's then layed into it. Did he do it right or did I get ripped? My tow made 232hp and the hot made 236hp. When I left his shop I could make it smoke, no problem. :dunno Is this around the right hp for my mods? The white truck was way off from what we expected too.

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll leave it to the experts, but those numbers sound way low to me...
not sure if it is the chip you are using (not sure of the ratings) or the dyno operator...

and you are right, every dyno run I've had they get it up to get the tq locked and then floor it until near failure from the load !!!

have heard the dyno operator can REALLY effect the numbers...
either with procedure or with "adjustment" factors they do not tell the true story...

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Ditto, I have never dyno'd before so I cant comment on if it was done properly but your numbers sound low to me.

f100cleveland

Reaction score
We went to a place that had a dynojet dyno this afternoon. Had the white truck run on it and pulled alot better numbers than yesterday on the superflow dyno. Found out that it is for tuneing and driveability problems and not really for accurate horse and torque numbers. Did around 329hp and 299lb at the wheels. I wanted to redo the SD on the dynojet but want to talk to Jody about my chip and and the strange readings I got on the superflow before I do it again.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
f100cleveland said:
We went to a place that had a dynojet dyno this afternoon. Had the white truck run on it and pulled alot better numbers than yesterday on the superflow dyno. Found out that it is for tuneing and driveability problems and not really for accurate horse and torque numbers. Did around 329hp and 299lb at the wheels. I wanted to redo the SD on the dynojet but want to talk to Jody about my chip and and the strange readings I got on the superflow before I do it again.

I've seen a few trucks (7.3's) with the same amount of mods as yours that do about the same numbers. It seems we add our mods to the numbers we heard from Ford. First Ford's numbers are off, and the quoted rear wheel horse numbers that aftermarket companies quote are off too. This leads to disappointment at the dyno. Here's a picture from our local clubs last dyno day. The low hp (justin) ford is a completely bone stock 2000 F350 dually. The second highest (sid) is a 2005 with full 4", afe stage II, and bully dogs power pup. I don't know what the high Ford is or whats done to it.

Dyno%20Day%20Results1.jpg

f100cleveland

Reaction score
The white truck which is a 351 cleveland did 18-19 percent better on the dyno jet so if that holds true with the diesel it would make it around 300hp and 700lb. of tourqe. Just a guess cuz I won't know for sure till I spin the rollers again.

rtxcoon

She Smokes a little!!!
Reaction score
I dont think the operator ran it right at all....I've always seen them
run it up to about 60 or so, then mash it....if the guy only ran yours up
to 80mph, it probably wasnt even in the high rpm's yet....my 01 with
similiar mods did about 300 rwhp with a DI chip(thats with 37" tires)...my 97 did 284 with just injectors and chip(with 35" tires), so I would think with Jody's extreme you should
be somewhat higher than you are...

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
rtxcoon said:
I dont think the operator ran it right at all....I've always seen them
run it up to about 60 or so, then mash it....if the guy only ran yours up
to 80mph, it probably wasnt even in the high rpm's yet....my 01 with
similiar mods did about 300 rwhp with a DI chip(thats with 37" tires)...my 97 did 284 with just injectors and chip(with 35" tires), so I would think with Jody's extreme you should
be somewhat higher than you are...

My bad, didn't catch that part, yep he should have run it to 3rd gear and got it at a steady rpm. Then he should have layed into her until the "redline" that you told him to stop at. It would have been laying plenty of black smoke. Sorry for missing that. :sorry

f100cleveland

Reaction score
After looking at my truck he put a piece of magnetic tape on the power steering pulley to take the rpms from. On the dyno sheet it shows me at 41mph at 2000 rpms and in real life it runs at 48mph. I'm sure not reading the true rpms it could of thrown the numbers off. -mad He had it on the water pump pulley on the gasser. :cussing: Live and learn I guess.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
f100cleveland said:
After looking at my truck he put a piece of magnetic tape on the power steering pulley to take the rpms from. On the dyno sheet it shows me at 41mph at 2000 rpms and in real life it runs at 48mph. I'm sure not reading the true rpms it could of thrown the numbers off. -mad He had it on the water pump pulley on the gasser. :cussing: Live and learn I guess.

I would throw those numbers out. Water pump pulley eh? I wonder if he's heard of an underdrive pulley? :roflmao I asked a few ford guys at that last dyno day what that thought mine would do, and they said under 300 and around 600 :dunno I guess I'm gonna have to anny up $50 next meet.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58