E4OD weaknesses

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Heat will kill an E4OD quickly. Towing with the overdrive on will shorten the life of an E4OD. Keeping the fluid clean through frequent changes helps. Watching the rear main seal for leaks and fixing problems immediately without the use of mouse milk additives helps.

I went through three of them in two different vehicles before I caught on to the shortcomings of the beast. I do like the TorqShift tranny in my 2005 F-250. It's the feline's butt! Darn near bulletproof.

Last edited:

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
ok, thanks guys. Any aftermarket tranny cooler anybody reccomends/has had good experiences with. I have the stock one, but it was saidthat it is poor. Any TCs that people reccomend? Thanks again. Oh, I suppose that a torqueshift won't mate up to the old 7.3s??

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
Towing with the overdrive on will shorten the life of an E4OD

take it out of od if its hunting for a gear to stay in. if you are going 75, keeping it out of od will shorten your engine life.

i installed an ATS 5 star TC and love it. it gave me 2 mpg increase for city driving.

change the fluid, and a bigger cooler is a good idea (although i still have the stocker... :( ) i have over 195k miles on mine, no problems yet, i try to change the fluid every 30-40k miles.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
take it out of od if its hunting for a gear to stay in. if you are going 75, keeping it out of od will shorten your engine life.

i installed an ATS 5 star TC and love it. it gave me 2 mpg increase for city driving.

change the fluid, and a bigger cooler is a good idea (although i still have the stocker... :( ) i have over 195k miles on mine, no problems yet, i try to change the fluid every 30-40k miles.

Towing at 75 mph? You are braver and richer than I am. I found the sweet spot towing with my Explorer to be around 60 mph. After that, the truck got squirrely and had the fuel consumption of the Queen Mary.

I ran the stock cooler and the aftermarket cooler in series.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
Towing at 75 mph? You are braver and richer than I am. I found the sweet spot towing with my Explorer to be around 60 mph. After that, the truck got squirrely and had the fuel consumption of the Queen Mary.

the explorer has a very short wheelbase, and doesnt weight 7000lbs thats why it gets squirly.

60mph @ over 2000rpms in 3rd gets MUCH worse fuel mileage than 75mph @2000rpms in OD. and thats with 3.55's, if you have a lower axle ratio like 4.10's you could cruise in OD at 60 just fine.

lifted_up

TractorMan
Reaction score
replacing the stock TC with one for a 6.0 will double the cooling capacity. I found one (new) on ebay for under $100. Using a synthetic like Scheafers can help also. :cowboy:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58