Question EGR and EGR manifold carbon buildup 2006 6.0

the cable guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its been a while since i have been here but thanks to the site i found the EGR cleaning procedure and the trouble code I was gettting on my 2006 6.0 I Reset the computer and cleaned the EGR seems ok for now. Thanks SDD

Looking into the manifold where the EGR sits is full of carbon just like the EGR, I cleaned it as best I could but I assume that the entire manifold and its passages have all that soot in there as well. That can't be good, any additives or things that can be done.
I sprayed some sea foam in and let it sit a while before I reassembled.

the cable guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know, cleaned it cleared the code and got on the highway and ran it hard. No prob, no CEL

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I try to run TC-W3 rated 2-stroke oil at 1oz per gallon when I refuel.

I pulled my IAT sensor that is located on the top of the intake manifold. I was pleasantly surprised when I found there wasn't any clumpped soot around the sensor. I cleaned off the sensor and reinstalled. I know this isn't a tell-tale sign of soot in the manifold, but I saw some pictures of some that are totally caked in soot. I have the modded EGR up-pipe as well so I'm happy!

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
sorry, i should re-phrase...

was the egr all gunked up or did it look fairly good?
p.s. did you see my vid?

the cable guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EGR was caked with soot so is the inside of where it sits.
Video? No where is it?

roger2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to check my EGR, 125K on engine and I've never pulled it to clean. Been putting it off!!!!

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Red 6,

What did you use to clean out the manifold? Also, what cleaning agent did you use to clean the valve, did just soaking the valve clean it up like that, or did you have to scrub? I assume the new orings and gasket are a must, and how much are they? Do they have to come from Ford, or can you get them at an auto parts store? Would you please give us the details on the procedure you used..... it looks to be very clean....

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
$7/8 at ford....a must - off hand i don't have the part # but someone else should be able to slap that up pretty quick - or just go to ford and ask for the egr o-rings.....

as for the manifold - screw driver, pick/awl (dentist looking things), i took my under the fridge fin lint remover and cut the tip off so it was the exact width as the bore and scrubbed it up and down vaccuuming out the debris (all done dry)

as for the egr - that is a plastic cup filled up w/ carb cleaner...soak time and scrub time w/ a stiff brass brush - i also used the dental pix on the hard to reach areas.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14