Question EGR and EGR manifold carbon buildup 2006 6.0

MuleMan

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
What is the trick to 'pulling the EGR' out? It turns but I haven't figured out if it is stuck or held down with a machine alignment knock or just o-ringed, tight fit or ??? Any advise would help.
My fuel economy and performance is down on my 03 6L and looking things over 1 piece at a time. Have Edge Juice & AirAid filter, with 43K miles, 6sp, and synthetic oil. Should I dink with the exhaust?

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
patience and two crows foot screwdriver looking items....something w/ a flat bent wide bottom that you can use to 'pry' upward and it will LITERALLY just pop up and out... something like the bent end of a brake tool is what i used.....well actually i tried everything under the sun for about 2 hours and my dad walked up and said let me try...by the time i walked from the grill to the drivers side door he got it out....:rant:dunno:doh::lmao

MuleMan

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Another use of bailing wire

Thanks for the advise on getting this thing out. I am one stubborn farm mechanic and this was not going to get the best of me. The solution for me was with bailing wire looped through the holes on the bolt down 'ears' (after turning it some) and made something like a handle on a bucket with 3 loops of wire- about 4 or 5 inched above the EGR valve. Then found a wood bat and pryed it out carefully. It really popped after anchoring on the alternator bolt as it was 60% fowled with gunk. Once cleaned, the rig runs MUCH better - quicker response and smoother acceleration. Thanks again as your response verify's there is no substitute for either good ole muscle or custom mechanical advantage devises - my grandfather would be proud.
:hail

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
glad you got it out....string/wire was one of the options i tried too - did not work....even used a shovel handle as a pry bar....

sorry, i missed your 'exhaust' question....you don't HAVE to but upgrading the exhaust w/ having done the other goodies you have done would certainly help.

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
when i had an egr set up after fighting it the first time i made sure i cleaned it atleast every 30k advice from this website and it came out easily from then on out and yes i run the diesel services additive every fill up unless i run down the road and get some bio willie try to do this as often as possible

pete37922

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think since the people of the EPA created this junk, they should be the 1's cleanin them out !!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58