EGR NO MORE!!!

desert50eagle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys-
Just wanted to say that I finally unplugged the EGR valve today(after reading a post from f350drw1)....
WOW :cool::I am still having a hard time believing how well it runs! It feels like I added a lot of horsepower and she also runs a lot smoother!!! The difference is quite noticeable.

I would also like to sincerely thank all of the contributing members to this forum. You guys really know your stuff and make ownership of a psd even better!! Thanks a bunch!!!:notworthy

Coastal6.0

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I unplugged mine and within 2 min. of running i had a CEL. Plugged it back in. Am i supposed to get a CEL?

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
depends on the year and the emmissons build.

beginning in 2004 california (carb) trucks tripped
the light (egr is emmisions related)....i can unplug mine
(non california/carb) and although it wont trip the
SES/CEL it will set codes.

Ive NEVER been re-flashed.

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try it and check back in with us.

I have tried it. I installed a CFM plus intake that removed my throttle plate while I was at it I unplugged my EGR. I had a thread about the CFM awhile ago. Unplugging / removing the throttle plate and leaving the EGR plugged in threw a CEL. Unplugging the EGR alone threw a CEL as well, and of course both of them together threw a code. I drove it for a few days with the light on and it all unplugged and to me it wasn't that big of a difference. I will try to unplug the the EGR again just for the heck of it.
I have been told that trucks delivered in MA, NY and CA have different emissions and will throw a code. Mine was delivered in MA. May be more states but those are the three I know about and after some investigation I tend to believe it because those states all have the strictest emissions

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
I suppose thats possible. I bought my truck in Jersey but it was a dealer swap from N.Y. I can't speak for all owners. But on mine it made a big difference. Of course, your results may vary.

thelastcion

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I found this, thought it might be helpful...

"So what would someone gain by disabling EGR? Just about the only thing would be less parts under the hood. Basically, removing EGR gives you more space (although not much). To correctly disable EGR from your vehicle, you MUST at the very least, disable it in the prom. This is done by setting the minimum temperature to enable EGR to 151 degrees Celsius (maximum allowable temperature), and setting the minimum vehicle speed to enable EGR to 255 mph (maximum allowable speed). Since the engine will never reach either of these conditions, EGR will never be requested by the ECM. Since EGR will never be requested, it does not matter if you leave the EGR system all installed in its original place, or if you remove it from the car. If you decide to remove it, you will need an EGR block off plate to cover the hole in the intake manifold.

If you simply remove the EGR system from the car, but do not disable it in the ECM, you will run into significant problems. You will likely run into detonation, the engine will run very poorly, lack power, and will probably run on the hot side as well. In addition, you will get a code 32 before running very long. If you recall from before, the ECM alters fuel and spark advance when it thinks EGR should be on. If no EGR flow is possible because you removed it, you will have a lean condition which will be further aggravated by advanced timing."

My only questions is, since I am still learning my abbreviations; what is the "prom"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14