EGR NO MORE!!!

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
I found this, thought it might be helpful...

"So what would someone gain by disabling EGR? Just about the only thing would be less parts under the hood. Basically, removing EGR gives you more space (although not much). To correctly disable EGR from your vehicle, you MUST at the very least, disable it in the prom. This is done by setting the minimum temperature to enable EGR to 151 degrees Celsius (maximum allowable temperature), and setting the minimum vehicle speed to enable EGR to 255 mph (maximum allowable speed). Since the engine will never reach either of these conditions, EGR will never be requested by the ECM. Since EGR will never be requested, it does not matter if you leave the EGR system all installed in its original place, or if you remove it from the car. If you decide to remove it, you will need an EGR block off plate to cover the hole in the intake manifold.

If you simply remove the EGR system from the car, but do not disable it in the ECM, you will run into significant problems. You will likely run into detonation, the engine will run very poorly, lack power, and will probably run on the hot side as well. In addition, you will get a code 32 before running very long. If you recall from before, the ECM alters fuel and spark advance when it thinks EGR should be on. If no EGR flow is possible because you removed it, you will have a lean condition which will be further aggravated by advanced timing."

My only questions is, since I am still learning my abbreviations; what is the "prom"

The above is for a gasser, some still applies to our trucks, but not all of it :sweet

dpantazis

Reaction score
make sure you remove your throttle plate and the like while you are in there. you don;t need all that extra stuff, specially the prom. that way you are sure to advance your timing. you don;t want that flame front to reach supersonic speeds in your cylinder or you will burn off the oil lining the cylinder walls....

runs better after you unplug it- BS. you have other issues. i bet you its all plugged up.

you 6.0 guys think that you are the only victims- the rest of the diesel world ahs been living with the consequences of EGR emissions for 10+ years.

look, if you don;t understand the BASIC principals of what you are dealing with, then you have to ask yourself, "do i really want to f*ck with it" because i read something on the internet? you ARE going to mess up your truck and you will not get any sympathy here.

the egr system is complicated and is tied into too many systems on the truck. kinda like deciding that you don;t really need that gall bladder because you are feeling gassy, get it removed laproscopically and then wonder why you don;t feel good after eating the north wood's "eat this steak and its free".

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
I'll tell ya what, if you don't own a 6.0 and have never done the mods, you have no business telling us what works and what doesn't. Buy one, have the issues, do the mods, then form an opinion.

desert50eagle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one said we were the only victims.....Its just funny to me that the 6.0 is NOTORIOUS for having egr related problems(cooler, valve, etc....). So why not remove it and/or delete its operation with tuning?

FWIW the last time my truck was in for service the tech told me that Ford was running a 3:1 ratio for egr valve replacement.

ALSO while my truck was in there they replaced my egr valve for "precautionary" measures even though I was in for a completely unrelated problem....

Last edited:

dpantazis

Reaction score
Buy one, have the issues, do the mods, then form an opinion.

d00d- you didn;t get my humor in the first place. show me where the throttle plate is on your 6.0.

i accept your critiscism. i will tell you that i have been living with an EGR'd diesel long before the 6.0's came out. us VW guys were the guinea pigs with these systems. and ya know what we learned and did- we filtered the CCV's to get rid of the oil to keep from binding the soot. funny how filtering the gunk kept the EGR's clean. we figured that out after 2-3 years, about when the 6.0 came out.

the europeans DON'T have the EGR problems we do because they switched over to clean fuel a good 5-6 before we did. less sulphur, less clogging. they were running EGR systems before we were. MB, BMW and VW/Audi.

try telling a PSD guy to filter their CCV and you get "why bother, just do the mod and dump it out the tail pipe."

YMMV

Last edited:

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
If I mistook your post, my bad. The VW TDI has had issues, no secret there. I have a friend who's an owner and has put 2 intake manifolds on the thing in 5 years. They apparently get clogged solid? I took that post badly simply because I have had alot of folks tell me there isn't a problem. There is. The ccv mod is a good idea, not sure what you mean that 6.0 owners would say "let it go out the tail-pipe". EGR or not it keeps the tubes from getting oily.

thelastcion

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
2 weeks ago, I was hauling a 16' enclosed (about 10k lbs) from Iowa to Houston and my truck started to over heat. I was traveling at about 75 MPH the entire way with the Tow/Haul on.

To this point I had only had a problem with a servo on the trany. But this was major. Between OKC and Houston I had to stop 4 times and put about 8 gallons of coolant in.

It was just running out somewhere, but wasn't hitting the ground so I couldn't pin point it. I ended up taking it to the local dealer the next day just to find out that my EGR cooler had gone bad. I seems that the coolant was leaking directly into the EGR some how.

Fortunately I only have 81k on the truck and it was replace for free, but I would really like to avoid this again and possibly find some more MPG. If removing the EGR will accomidate both of these, I am very interested.

Has there been found to be any long term affects from removing the EGR?

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have run the unplugged EGR in the past with great results. I now have the "sneaky pipe" in place while using the SCT to disable the EGR function. With the increase in exhaust flow the turbo spools quicker and I can pull hard without flash boiling the coolant.

For those willing to bypass the EGR, look into modding your EGR up-pipe and invest in the SCT. Even if you only bypass the EGR function you will be happier and the truck will flat out perform!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14