egr removal and cleaning

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
OK Ladies and Gentleman!!
This was fun....NOT!

Let me first start of by saying i had all kinds of trouble trying to get this sucker out. I first spun it so the tabs were away from the bolt holes. Then:
1. tried prying up w/ all kinds of screwdrivers...no luck
2. took an old shoe lace and made a loop and used a BFS for upwards pull leverage...no luck
3. more screwdrivers...nope
4. take my moms car (she was over) to northern to look for curved type screwdrivers - not much luck.. i found a small pry bar and bought a door panel/christmas tree removal tool too thinking that may help...
5. get home, find father over now. eat lunch, explain to him what/why i was doing. show him the page of how/why what i was doing. go outside, mess around w/ it some more...no luck.
6. father comes out to see what i am doing. (grabs the brake removal tool i had (tried) and the new little pry bar i just bought & asks me if i have 2 of the same tool - nope is the answer). now here is the fun part, IN THE TIME IT TAKES ME TO WALK FROM THE FRONT OF THE TRUCK AROUND TO MY DRIVERS DOOR - HE SAYS "ITS OUT".....
7. i say B.S. and he says come look, pull it out....sure as chit, i climb up the step ladder look over the intake elbow, grab it and lift it out...
8. let me tell you i fussed and messed around w/ this for 2 hours and he does it in about 2-3 seconds....:rant:rant:rant
9. holy crap was it bad.:eek::eek: no way in the world did i think it was that bad. i cleaned it all up and put it back..
10. now do i PLUG IT IN or NOT? that is my question to you all!!!

all in all, 1 hours time w/ removal, cleaning, and clean up and install....just gotta have 2 'lady slippers' or equal "up" pressure and pop -out she comes. it had 32,954 miles on it since it was done at head gasket time

ENJOY:sweet

egr removal and cleaning :: egr removal and cleaning slideshow by red60-no - Photobucket

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Absolutely plug it in. Try it first before you go neutering it. Sometimes we are too close to the forest to see the trees.

Dave

F350newbie

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I was planning on pulling mine and cleaning it, as I was thinking this might be another source of my grief as I originally disconnected upon first purchasing the truck last march and just plugged it in last month thinking it might help with the cold starts. I am curious the condition it is in. Can you post a pic of your egr valve if you took any? I would like something to compare to mine when I get it out.

Congrats on getting it out:clap:

You say you need equal pressure on each side of the unit to pop it up, any tool that gives leverage should work, or do I need a curved screw driver as you mention earlier?

Thanks,

FC

F350newbie

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Red60-no,

Thanks for putting a slide show together! like they say a pics worth a 1000 words! :hail

Where did you get the replacement Od-Rings for the EGR? They look like standard Silicon High Temp O-Rings. What are the dimensions for the OD & Thickness.

Thanks,

FC

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
that would be flat top.....and last summer's pix.... now it is what "I" would call long and shaggy....going for a different look - gotta make the wife happy...summer is calling for a flat top again tho............

fc: bought at ford....around $8 & the slideshow was there in the beginning - it was just down too far, i think some missed it

oh - and i am gonna run 2 tanks w/o egr plugged in to see what i notice

atk

Reaction score
that`s about how dirty mine was when i cleaned the egr a year ago....nice slideshow....;tu

let us know what difference`s there are with it unplugged?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64