egr removal and cleaning

atk

Reaction score
really - did you go almost 33,000 miles w/o cleaning it tho...........:eek::doh::dunno

atleast that, if not more(i will have to look at my maintinace file to see when exactly it was done and how long ago)....but mine has been unplugged for most of that....

truck has 152000km and far as i know only been cleaned once(by me) and still has original egr....will be pulling it out soon, just to see how things look....(will have to plug it back in when i go for emission test)

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
The first time I unplugged mine (before I had a tuner that deleted it) I noticed a big decrease in start off power. I think you might notice the same red.

F350newbie

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Red,

I tried the fiddling with two screwdrivers to leverage the egr out and it would not budge. Tried your idea with the string (7 strand para cord) looping it thru the bolt holes and it popped out easily.

FYI I bent my glasses and got one bruised Eye when I tried pulling so hard I lost my grip and smacked my face with a back of my knuckles:dizzy:dizzy:dizzy
Thats when I decided to try the shoe lace Idea which I should have done first!

Soaked bottom of EGR in Diesel Kleen and most of the carbon came off with a tooth brush and q-tips. Pulled Fuel Filter and filled with Diesel Kleen as well and then took it for a spin...leaving the EGR Unplugged. Engine was responsive again and acclerated quickly, no hesitations on the corners or when I gunned it. After plowing some deep puddles and engine was at temp I did lose that initial punch I like. Took it on the highway and made the turbo squeal for a bit before slowing down. I am sure the vanes were stuck but after stopping and gunning it several times and pushing thru the squeal everything seems good engine wise again.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
sorry about the introduction of your knuckles to your face...:lmao:sorry i laugh cuz i thought i'd do the same thing - except as i said was using a BFS and thought if the lace broke - the screwdriver handle would leave a mark...:D

??did u use just 2 plain screwdrivers or ones the were bent (u-shaped) at the bottom?? cuz all i used (well dad used) was a "brake spoon and the small pry bar"...cuz i had no room to use 2 regular screwdrivers:dunno

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
The first time I unplugged mine (before I had a tuner that deleted it) I noticed a big decrease in start off power. I think you might notice the same red.

what do you mean? on a cold engine it 'dogged' OR say from a stop light (upon 'go') it did not want too?:dunno

can u elaborate?

F350newbie

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Red,

I was using two curved long needle nose pliers. I just picked up a pair of long hooked nail pullers that should work without me having to meet my fist again...talk about beating yourself up:D

Did notice improved HP after the EGR disconnect again.

FC.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
don't beat yourself up over the issue......:lmao:lmao:tounge

yeah, it too looked at the long hook style pliers (barb wire type looking twisty things....)

BAMA: i AM NOT noticing any 'lag'....i got the get up and go power....:dunno:dunno for now anyway.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr