Question EGR replaced by dealer will that last forever

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the Oasis on the used truck i purchased and it stated the EGR had been replaced on a TSB warranty as well as 4 injectors, will this fix stop any future EGR failure i have read about here or will it happen again, seems to me if you replace the EGR with the same thing it will just happen again??

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can happen again if you don't get on it now and then. My buddy had his replaced recently and they put this baffle in there and its supposed to stop it from coking up.

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what else if anything can be done (preventivley speaking) besides removing it, i do not have the money to pay somebody to take it off and am not sure i could pull it off by myself????

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is the truck?

You could pull the EGR up-pipe (passenger side exhaust that connects to the EGR cooler) and have it modded to prevent the exhaust from flowing into the system.

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
you can also take it out and clean it..before i deleted min i would take it out and clean it about every 25-30k..you can do it yourself if you can undo two bolts and yank on it then clean it replace to gaskets which are under $10 and reinstall it just make sure to cover the holes that it tellsyou to in the directions...Diesel Technician Society this shows you how to take care of it..after i did this on a regular basis i didnt have any more problems but decided to remove it so i knew it wouldnt happen anymore hope this helps

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the EGR valve or the EGR cooler? You can do preventative maintenance once a year by pulling the valve and cleaning it so it doesn't coke up too much (I replace the O rings when I do this). The OE cooler will eventually fail, and I think the Bulletproof diesel EGR cooler is the best replacement if you want to stay with a working EGR system. I can't say for sure, but I think the Bulletproof diesel EGR cooler is a long term fix for leaking EGR coolers, and is at least miles ahead of the OE one. If you ever do replace the EGR cooler, make sure you replace the oil cooler at the same time. Don't idle for extended periods or for warm up, and you will reduce coking/wetstacking issues overall.

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If u have to idle, use the high idle mod - Prevents wetstacking and coking

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is the HI IDLE mod is that a switch you install or is it something through the existing componets on the truck????

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58