egt at shutdown

dieseldork

dieseldork
Reaction score
What should the egt temp go down to when shutting down to be safe?
I was told anything below 300. whatcha think?

DART505

LIFETIME GEARHEAD
Reaction score
Rule of thumb,whoever that is is 300 although once mine is warm it will only go down to 400.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
There has been ALOT of debate about this subject. Rule of thumb has always and forever been 300 or less. But the sticky part of this subject comes in with the advent of "todays oils" and some will say it doesnt matter, just shut it down.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
If mine is over 300 I hit the turbo timer on my remote start and it shuts down in 2 minutes. I have no idea what the temp is in two minutes because I am far from the truck when it shuts down. I would not shut it down if over 400-no way...

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
300, 400 its been thrown around for years, but as stroker mentioned todays oils dont break down at temps as fast nowdays
but another good rule of index finger is if you have been working the truck hard, dont just shut her off at 300-400, let her cool down at idle for a few more minutes to help remove as much heat as possible, because when she does shut down, the heat soak will run the temps right back up to 500 or higher depending on how hot its outside and how hard you were working her.
if its a short duration stop, let her idle,

try a few times when she gets to 350 or so
shut her off and walk away, then go look at your pyro temps say about five minutes later, you wil see a good increase, is it enough to cook the oil on the turbo sintered bronze bearing????? only time will tell
if i am doing the stop and go carp i will click on my remote start timer that will run her for 30 minutes, and bump on the high idle, pull the key
lock the doors and go do what i need to do, if i am gone over 30 minutes it shuts off, but if not i get a cold cab and happy truck:D

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
powerboatr said:
......... about five minutes later, you wil see a good increase, is it enough to cook the oil on the turbo sintered bronze bearing?????

Where can I get me one of those? :p

Oh I shut mine down at 350.If I let mine idle for 5 mintues in 100* ambient heat it only goes down to 300* and takes 5 minutes to get there. So add the arguement of oil contamination due to wet stacking to the list of arguements also.;)

ranger boy

Banned User
Reaction score
Never above 400 for me, usually I get lazy and it'll hit 350 and I'll just say "F**k it" and turn it off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl