egt at shutdown

heilman97

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Is it bad to leave your truck running while filling up? Because when i travel, I usually just leave it on when I fill up? Because by the time i'm done and already paid it is finally cool enough to shut down. Gotta love those big semi nozzels.

ForumBlue

CDXX
Reaction score
Crumm said:
They do end up with the same problems if they "idle" at low rpm. The proper way to "idle" for extended periods is to run the rpm's up a little. In our trucks 1300 or so seems to do the trick. In a semi when the driver is sleeping about 900 rpm will do the trick if the weather is warm. During real cold weather the rpm has to be increased to keep the engine temperature up. Up here in the winter when the temp hits -40 the semis idle at about 1500 or more. Idling for two minutes to cool down the turbo will not cause any damage. If it did you would have to shut down the engine every time you stopped at a red light too..

Just to confirm. I tell all my guys to warm up and idle at 900 rpm. Whether they do it or not...:dunno

jopes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who has the best deals on those auto matic turbo cooler thingys where they idle the engine to cool the egt temps after you turn the engine off.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
jopes said:
Who has the best deals on those auto matic turbo cooler thingys where they idle the engine to cool the egt temps after you turn the engine off.
I know Garrett at Pure Diesel Power carries the turbo timer which I might add is an SDD advertiser also :sweet

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
jopes said:

i have two modes with my viper
30 minute run or a 3 minute run depending on which button you push
I use the 30 minute all the time doing errands
under 400 smackers
plus a remote start and key out walk away .

the remote start i have found will come on often, like when i am working under the truck and forget i have em, say in the pocket i just rolled over on and bzzzzzzz goes the prestart and VROOM shes running. real nice :roflmao :roflmao
or sitting at diner and look out the window and notice the truck is running, and my keys are hanging on the hook :dunno
but wifeys purse is crunched up in the corner of the couch. starting and stopping the truck
real nice :D :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl