EGT temps?

INTERNATIONALPOWER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well here is what has happened regarding the coolant. Sorry for the long post.

I brought the truck into ford on 4/4/08 to have the truck checked out for loosing coolant and, white smoke exiting the exhaust. The tech verified my concern. He found that the EGR cooler was leaking. Replaced the egr cooler, oil cooler, cleaned the intake mainfold, changed engine oil and filter. Presure tested system. NO LEAKS. Road tested vehicle and monitered engine oil and coolant temps. All passed.

I again brought the truck in on 5/5/08 for a check engine light, and coolant coming from the degass bottle. Ford Said Checked codes p299-coking deposit code. Cleared codes and test drove truck. Truck ran hard and also opened egr and cleaned out. No Codes Present at this time. As Far as the coolant ford had this to say, filled coolant and no leaks present at this time after road test. Can see that egr cooler was replaced just recently. Everything ok at this time. No repairs needed.

So After this the truck was in the shop form 5/5/08 to 6/10/08 trying to figure out why the check engine light kept coming on. Well they say it was the VGT solenoid on the turbo was bad. Causing it to throw the code. But they ended up rebuilding my turbo in the process.

Well I on the 8/11/08 I was on my way up to Sonora with my trailer and the temp gauge on my truck started to climb and then the check temp indicator came up. (Never once did my EGT gauge read over 1000 so I wasnt running the truck that hot.) To sum it up the truck used about 3.5 gallons of water on a 150 mile trip.

So i took the truck back in on 8/13/08 they said that tech verified concern of coolant out degas bottle but that a wire from my cb had grounded out and and was causing my engine fan to quit working causing the truck to over heat. Said that he repaired wire and said truck ran fine did not over heat.

Then again on the Monday the 18th I went back to Sonora with my trailer and again my truck did the same thing (again never over 1000 on the egt gauge). But I only lost one gallon of coolant this time.

Thanks for the help guys.

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
Tell the dealer that you have headgasket leak. It's just so difficult for dealers to admit to H.G. leaks. It's alot of work when this happens,for sure. They have a procedure for this. Good luck. I've suffered the same problems. I had to finally go to another dealer that took better care of me,and replaced my warped heads and gaskets along with egr cooler,etc.

INTERNATIONALPOWER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell the dealer that you have headgasket leak. It's just so difficult for dealers to admit to H.G. leaks. It's alot of work when this happens,for sure. They have a procedure for this. Good luck. I've suffered the same problems. I had to finally go to another dealer that took better care of me,and replaced my warped heads and gaskets along with egr cooler,etc.
What your saying is spot on. When I mentioned that it could be the head gasket last time the came up with the engine fan problem.

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
I'd put my money on HeadGaskets, if they won't replace them, find another dealership that will. While you're at it, see if they'll put in headstuds for you while they're at it. You'll have to supply the headstuds though, but it should eliminate this from happening again.

INTERNATIONALPOWER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the truck goes into the shop Monday because I have to Finish my work this weekend. I will have to wait and see if they will replace the head gasket.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg