Electric fan conversion

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I'm not going to get in a pissing match over it for sure, but to flatly say it doesnt or wont work simply isnt true. JOAT lives in central California, land of 100+ heat from May till Oct and stop and go traffic. I dont think Jim soley drags with his truck, its a truck and he uses it as one. Gotta say, once your over about 30 MPH your fan cannot move as much air as comes through the grill naturally.

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
I'm not going to get in a pissing match over it for sure,
I'm sorry if you think we are. I never intended that, I'm just trying to state my case, whch was simply a warning that the e-fans may not be sufficient for heavy towing and hauling.
but to flatly say it doesnt or wont work simply isnt true.
I don't believe I ever did? :dunno I expressed concern that someone that works his truck for a living may not find an e-fan to be sufficient. As I've stated before, I have no practical experience with what I'm talking about, I just have a feeling, based upon my experience, that an e-fan could be insufficient under high load situations. I think every one of my posts had that caveat, so I am not sure why you are thinking I am saying it won't work. :dunno
JOAT lives in central California, land of 100+ heat from May till Oct and stop and go traffic.
And I also think I said that in stop and go traffic, the "constantly on" feature of an e-fan would actually be better than a belt-driven fan. I also made the point that the 7.3 cooling system would function properly and cool just fine under most conditions without any fan at all. Again, the point I was trying to make was towing heavy under similar atmospheric conditions. This is why I was curious earlier to have JOAT or one of the other guys get into this thread and give some testimonials of what they've pulled under what conditions, and how well the fans held up. Just trying to be scientific here.
I dont think Jim soley drags with his truck, its a truck and he uses it as one.
That is probably true. Again, this is why I would like to hear from one of these guys.
Gotta say, once your over about 30 MPH your fan cannot move as much air as comes through the grill naturally.
I disagree. If this is true, then why, when I am moving down the road at 60 MPH and the truck starts heating up under a load, does it cool back down mere seconds after the fan clutch engages? I can literally watch the needle drop, until the fan shuts down, then the needle starts climbing again. Again, the stock fan on the PSD takes 25 horsepower to run. A 25 horsepower fan can move air at (SWAG) 80 mph. Therefore, my guess is that unless you are doing over 80, the fan can still move more air than the speed you are moving.

Anyway, the main reason for my posts to begin with wasn't to debate the use of e-fans at all, it was just to alert those interested in their use to the possibility that they may not cut the mustard if you really work your truck. More research is always necessary, and I'm still interested to hear the practical application discussed by those that have done it, including GCVWR that they have towed successfully with e-fans, etc. It is totally possible that they are fixing to prove me wrong.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
One thing I would like to bring to light, most of us OBS guys dont have an inter-cooler to pull through either. So, my use of OBS guys may not be a fair comparison to the SD'ers.

THEDIESELMAN

John Deere Tech
Reaction score
Electric fans are not recommended for primary diesel engine cooling when the combined gross vehicle weight (CGVW) exceeds 18,000 pounds (truck, trailer and load) That is straight from the flex-a-lite site. So if you are going to be towing more than that or close to it i would not use them.

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
THEDIESELMAN said:
Electric fans are not recommended for primary diesel engine cooling when the combined gross vehicle weight (CGVW) exceeds 18,000 pounds (truck, trailer and load) That is straight from the flex-a-lite site. So if you are going to be towing more than that or close to it i would not use them.
Good info, thanks!

Jcart

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys FWIW,

On my OBS I have run a twin Taurus (two speed) set up for some time and it has worked well. Now I don't tow big and nor very often. I have designed my setup to come off in 10 minutes and can put the stokcer back on within that time for pulling big loads if need be. I also run an SD I/C (full aluminium one) and have never overheated, nor gone passed the M on the gauge.......(sorry no actual temp gauge)......I would recommend that if you tow big (and often) in hot weather, stick with the OEM design as the Taurus does not pull even close to the stocker (in my situation). I usually pull the TT @ not more than 8K and usually run greater than 90% empty. If interested check out my pix in sig under Truck pics.

jrc

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58