Engine Seized

MB Dave

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So... I sent out my driver to pick up a sprinter for me in Trenton. On the way back they stop at gas station to top off, fuel is way cheaper in Indiana. They notice that radiator fan is going crazy but the coolant temp is okay, according to the gauges atleast. They hop back on the skyway and the truck starts coaling really bad, they nurse it back home to chicago. I decide to top off with the local jungle juice and the smoking goes away. But today the engine doesn't want to turnover. Almost like it seized what should I look for before I go call a tow truck and have her towed to the stealership.

What he didn't tell me is that he had to add 2 galls of coolant on the way.

I had a local mechanic try to move the flywheel to see whats up and he believes its seized. The truck is a 2008 F450 SuperDuty PSD. She has only 91k

How much does a rebuild cost, how much are used engines, do you really have to take off the cab to get to the engine?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hulkster

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Usually a blown egr cooler will cause what you are describing. The engine will injest the coolant. if the crankcase was swollowing coolant there is a good possibility the engine is hydrolocked and not siezed. pull all the glow plugs and see if it pukes coolant. oh and i would never replace a 6.4 without pulling the cab.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You can check eBay.com for used engines. I haven't looked for a 6.4 so I have no idea of what they want for them.

Dave :)

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
91k is still warrenty. Under the 100k. Get the dealer to fix it. Then delete the coolers and Dpf too.
Sent from my SGH-T959V

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Agreed that its hydrolocked. Could be lots of fuel in the cylinders too or somethin?

MB Dave

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
We'll we pulled the glow plugs out and she wouldn't budge. Hooked up 2 cars just to make sure we didn't run her dry earlier, also nothing. Removed the started and tried to turn the engine overt by hand also nothing.

My warranty expires this April so boy am I lucky.

Thanks for all the help!

`08 Blue Crew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. So now I am asking for a definition. What is Hydrolocked? Aside from this thread (first time I've heard of this condition), I recently read an article discussing a hydrolocked cylinder.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. So now I am asking for a definition. What is Hydrolocked? Aside from this thread (first time I've heard of this condition), I recently read an article discussing a hydrolocked cylinder.

OK you asked for it......
Hydrolock (a shorthand notation for hydrostatic lock) is an abnormal condition of any device which is designed to compress a gas by mechanically restraining it; most commonly the reciprocating internal combustion engine, the case this article refers to unless otherwise noted. Hydrolock occurs when a volume of liquid greater than the volume of the cylinder at its minimum (end of the piston's stroke) enters the cylinder. Since most common liquids are incompressible the piston cannot complete its travel; either the engine must stop rotating or a mechanical failure must occur.
Diesel engines are more susceptible to hydrolock than gasoline engines. Diesel engines have a much smaller final combustion chamber volume, requiring much less liquid to hydrolock. Diesel engines also tend to have higher torque, rotating inertia, and stronger starter motors than gasoline engines. The result is that a diesel engine is more likely to suffer catastrophic damage. Diesels can also hydrolock if water builds up in the injector systems and is injected into a running engine in place of fuel.

Hows that ?????

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr