engine shut down

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
I was driving down the hwy and my truck engine just stopped. I could not re-start it, so I had it towed to a friends. It sat for about a month, the batteries went down so I put it on a charger for two days. It started the other day so I let it idle for about 45 minutes with no problem. I had a mechanic check it out at my friends house.

I thought it was STC or HPOP but when the mechanic check it out he told me that my cooling fan was shot and when it ran it shorted out the computer and shut down the engine. We ran the engine and got the oil temp up to 200, the whole time the fan clutch was engaged.

He told me that if the engine shuts down again to disconnect the fan and it should start (I will get CEL but it will run).

Any Input on this?

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my fan clutch replaced already because it was locking up when commanded by the computer. I don't get why that would shut the truck down and not just trigger limp mode but it definitely should not stay engaged all the time. It's not hard to get to but the clutch is expensive. IIRC about $450.

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
I had my fan clutch replaced already because it was locking up when commanded by the computer. I don't get why that would shut the truck down and not just trigger limp mode but it definitely should not stay engaged all the time. It's not hard to get to but the clutch is expensive. IIRC about $450.

What I was told was that the clutch shorts out and drains the power from the computer which inturn shuts down the engine. He told me if it happened again to just disconnect the fan clutch plug and watch the temp gauge.

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know what I just read this.
"No Crank/No Start; Vehicles with TorqShift Transmission:
If this condition is occurs it may be due to a problem in the cooling fan electric clutch. This may be accompanied by transmission range sensor codes P1705 (TR not indicating neutral on self test), P0706 (TR-P sensor frequency fault) and P0707 (TR-P sensor circuit duty cycle low input). Check the voltage at the TR sensor pin 21, circuit 371, it soould read 12 volts. If the voltage is low (3-4 volts), unplug the cooling fan electrical connector and retest. If the voltage is now 12 volts, try starting the engine. If it starts, clear codes and test drive to see if the TR sensor codes return. If they do not, diagnose the cooling fan electric clutch. Broadcast Messages 0520, 1069."
Didn't realize that the truck would die and not restart without unplugging the fan. :dunno

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
Well I replaced the fan clutch and started just fine. Driving it, after two months, the engine just died. It was not overheating, the fan was working normal, and will not restart. Not showing codes and I am at a loss. I can hear the fuel pump is running and the engine will turn over, only no start.

wth

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you hear the injector "buzz" when you turn the ignition to the run position during the WTS cycle. If not, your FICM may have failed. Take a look at this:

http://www.superdutydiesel.com/forums/6-0l-powerstroke-engine-drivetrain/28990-ficm-repair.html

I just got mine back yesterday. It started with a couple of extended starts, and would run bad. The last time it did this, I pulled it in the garage and shut it down. It never started again, until I got the FICM repaired. If you look at the first post in that thread, there is a link to troubleshoot the FICM.

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
Do you hear the injector "buzz" when you turn the ignition to the run position during the WTS cycle. If not, your FICM may have failed. Take a look at this:

http://www.superdutydiesel.com/forums/6-0l-powerstroke-engine-drivetrain/28990-ficm-repair.html

I just got mine back yesterday. It started with a couple of extended starts, and would run bad. The last time it did this, I pulled it in the garage and shut it down. It never started again, until I got the FICM repaired. If you look at the first post in that thread, there is a link to troubleshoot the FICM.

It's a possibility, but what are the chances of getting a bad FICM that I recently replaced. And then again that could be my issue because I recently replaced it.
Thanks

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I replaced the fan clutch and started just fine. Driving it, after two months, the engine just died. It was not overheating, the fan was working normal, and will not restart. Not showing codes and I am at a loss. I can hear the fuel pump is running and the engine will turn over, only no start.

wth

Sounds like what mine just did, and it was the HPOP. Just died, would turn over and over. Regular code reader would not bring anything up.

B

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
Sounds like what mine just did, and it was the HPOP. Just died, would turn over and over. Regular code reader would not bring anything up.

B
I am hoping that its not that because I replaced the HPOP about two years ago. But, as we all know, its possible.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58