Question Enging Bogs in Reverse

yjsaindon

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Engine Bogs Down in Reverse

I just had the transmission in my 01 7.3 replaced under warranty. I bought it last December and it had 1500 mi on the transmission from the last owner. I'd driven it about 500 mi. when it went out and the dealership replaced the torque converter, pump and a solenoid. It later started to bog down in reverse and would sometimes do it so bad that the engine would die, and would take up to 8 seconds to shift from park to drive. I took it back and they put another torque converter in it which worked all the way home and started to act up the same way. I took it back to the dealership and they put a new transmission in it, they drove it and it was still doing the same thing. They then put a new TCM and PCM in it and it seems to be shifting nicely now but while parking it today I threw it into reverse and it bogged down again. Not enough to kill it but enough to notice it. I also found out that it had a Bully Dog chip of some kind in it that I didn't know about. (I bought it on consignment from a truck shop). I had them remove the chip. The dealership has actually been really good to me so far and put me in a rental while they had my truck and did the PCM and TCM at no charge. I just want to know why it's bogging in reverse. Anything you can offer would be a great help.

Thanks,
YJ

Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
Maybe TRS Transmission Range Sensor. That is on the left side of the tranny. It controls the electronic functions of the tranny.

Bogging in reverse is caused by low fluid, low fluid pressure, or internal seals leaking. Another thing to check is the filter. If it has cracked or is damaged it can cause this to happen.

dpantazis

Reaction score
did they change the cooler? the stock 7.3 design has the input and output lines on the top, so the whole cooler acts like a sump pit. it can get all plugged up and crudded up.

they >should< have changed the cooler with every tranny swap. nothing like overlooking a $100 part on a $3500 job....

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I'd go with Jourdan.. check the transmission fluid level.
Reverse takes the most fluid to apply..

Boadie

Guzzler of the Coors
Reaction score
I checked the fluid this morning. It's at the right level. I'll have to call the dealership and see if they replaced the cooler as well. I accidentally posted using Boadies login.
Yj

Last edited:

yjsaindon

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
They did change the cooler according to the dealer.
did they change the cooler? the stock 7.3 design has the input and output lines on the top, so the whole cooler acts like a sump pit. it can get all plugged up and crudded up.

they >should< have changed the cooler with every tranny swap. nothing like overlooking a $100 part on a $3500 job....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58