Help Needed Erratic, stumbling, surging, choking, wanting to die, then dies

doug young

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boyz, as the long title says, i need some major help. My truck has been running like absolute crap!!! It actually barely runs. The idle is VERY erratic and jumps up and down, surges, chokes the engine out but then catches itself and then eventually dies. I am not sure if it is bad fuel, or injectors or electrical. I have recently replaced the GPR because it was almost impossible to get it started. I also just replaced the CPS thinking that would solve the issue, but it didnt. I run the Edge Evolution with Attitude as a tuner, but i disconnected all those components and put it back to stock, that didnt work. My Service Engine Soon light comes on and off and i have tried to different code readers to get codes, but they both say there is zero codes.( I know there is codes because i have seen the Service Engine light flash when driving, trying to set the codes, but the Edge system has something to do with that) I have had the Service Engine light go out while driving the truck and the truck seems to pick up instant power....weird!!! I have checked all fuses just to eliminate that option......I am tapped out and need some direction to look. Could it be the PCM or ECU???

Doug

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Well Doug, you have to give us some more information like what year and model of truck are you talking about. We need this to help you further. And you will need to get it scanned by a good local mechanic. You don't have to go to Ford to get it scanned, but ask them if they CAN scan your model truck. Some scanners won't scan our trucks. The codes are the KEY too what is going on. Everything else is just guessing.

Dave :)

doug young

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F-250 7.3L
Edge Evolution with Attitude(disconnected at the present time)
AFE air filter
4" exhaust

I did just recently move to a part of WA State that has much colder winters than Seattle. I didnt get fuel treatment in it right away and had to put in the Diesel Kleen product in the red bottle....the 911 treatment...........

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Test both Batterys, isolated from each other, for state of charge. Then Load Test each one*.

Clean the cable connections and posts.

Change the Fuel filter(s).

Check the IPR connector (look for oil)

Chech the EOT/ECT connector.

Then get it Scanned.

Let us know from there ?????

Joe

*If one battery fails in any way ? Replace them Both.

doug young

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joe, i bought 2 new batteries last Sept from Costco. I have been a little leary of them since i pruchased them. I even went back and had them check to make sure they were the right batteries for my truck. They said yes: proper cranking amps etc.

P.S. I have you beat in one catagory....I have a 37' Montana 5th wheel...:)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joe, i bought 2 new batteries last Sept from Costco. I have been a little leary of them since i pruchased them. I even went back and had them check to make sure they were the right batteries for my truck. They said yes: proper cranking amps etc.

P.S. I have you beat in one catagory....I have a 37' Montana 5th wheel...:)

:tounge on the Montana :lmao

I'd still check & clean those battery connections.

The whole description you've given.. Smacks of some Voltage/Amp issues.. or fuel related gremlins ?

Joe

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I'd almost bet under-valve-cover-harnesses (UVCH's) but I'd like to see some fault codes before I put money down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14