Help Needed Erratic, stumbling, surging, choking, wanting to die, then dies

doug young

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank'ya'all for your input. This will give me some avenues to pursue. Although the timing of the problems started after I filled the truck up with fuel last December. It is not an every day driver and I have been trying to run the fuel out of it to see if in fact the fuel is the problem. It is haed to do such a thing when the truck runs like crap and surges and studders and dies when you are driving it. On one trip it died on me doing 60mph and I almost didnt get it started to get myself home. I will certainly keep you guys posted on my prgresssion.

Doug

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank'ya'all for your input. This will give me some avenues to pursue. [Although the timing of the problems started after I filled the truck up with fuel last December.] It is not an every day driver and I have been trying to run the fuel out of it to see if in fact the fuel is the problem. It is haed to do such a thing when the truck runs like crap and surges and studders and dies when you are driving it. On one trip it died on me doing 60mph and I almost didnt get it started to get myself home. I will certainly keep you guys posted on my prgresssion.

Doug

4 month old fuel, in Winter Temps could be a problem. Algae, water and sediments that have maybe formed..then picked up by the pump.. it could be clogging up fuel passages and filters too..... ???

#2 diesel can also go sour, and/or loose it's cetane (i.e: BTU's) when all the above takes place ??

Joe

doug young

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joe, would the bad fuel cause the Service Engine Light to come on?

I had both batteries checked and they are both good.

When the Service Engine Light goes out, the truck definetaly picks up power, buuuut that is when the engine runs the worst.......

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joe, would the bad fuel cause the Service Engine Light to come on?

** It could.. If the filter is fouled.. pressures could be effected.. picked up by sensors.. PCM reacts ?? CEL

I had both batteries checked and they are both good.

**;tu

When the Service Engine Light goes out, the truck definetaly picks up power, buuuut that is when the engine runs the worst.......

** You may be getting pressures @ RPM.. SES goes out.. but Runz like Crap.

It's time to get it Scanned.. so you have some Hard Data to work from ?

Joe

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Is it possible to have the Service Engine light go on and not have any codes to pull???

not very darn likely..
unless you're using a Generic/Global OBD-II reader, in that case, highly possible as few codes used by these engines are generic..

you need one that does manufacturer specific codes.. prices are coming down on these however... I've seen them through Harbor Freight for a few hundred dollars...
you can buy one of those cheap Wally World laptops for under $300 and get AutoEnginuity software with the cables for around what, $350?

either way, you've got a fully functional scan tool for about a tenth of what I have in my MODIS... which, rumor has it, will soon be obsoleted by what? Laptops.

doug young

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update....I cyphoned out the existing, possibly bad fuel. I put five gallons of fresh fuel in. The Service Engine light is still on after driving for 30 miles. I am waiting to see if the light goes out and see how the engine runs. I will be able to get the truck scanned at a dealer next week.

Doug

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
thanks for the update, Doug.. let us know what the scan says

doug young

Full Access Member
Reaction score
update.... i added 12 more gls of fresh fuel and added in 16oz of Seafoam. Service Engine light is still on and truck still runs fine, but seems to be down on power a little.

I was messing aroung with it tonight. I noticed that the GPR would buzz for 48 seconds after i would turn the ignition to the On position. Is this normal? It was a fairly loud buzz. I put it in brand new 3-4 weeks ago.......????

Doug

doug young

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, was finally able to get to a detailed scanner. P1280 Injector Control Pressure.......

Doug

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14