Excursion A/C Modification

CHPMustang

Reaction score
A couple years back we had upgraded the insulation to the A/C lines in the engine area and running the full length to the rear auxiliary A/C unit if anyone's interested in doing the same to their Excursion/SuperDuty I can start an album folder for that modification :sweet

The modification benefitted about a 5-10 degree drop in overall cold temps coming from the vents :sweet

Bill

Snowman269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great! I'm interested in the info! i've recently moved to Minnesota & the summer here gets warmer than Mich due to the Great Lakes! I'm thinking the Mod would help a bunch, especially during trips down south.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Snowman269 said:
Great! I'm interested in the info! i've recently moved to Minnesota & the summer here gets warmer than Mich due to the Great Lakes! I'm thinking the Mod would help a bunch, especially during trips down south.
I'll get started on the photos and how-to,I did a couple other modifications that enhances the A/C performance that will be added also :sweet

Bill

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
What about the heater lines? Are they insulated? The ac is plenty cold for Alaska the way it is but if the heater lines are next to the ac lines I could benefit from insulating them.

erlong

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Snowman269 said:

Snowman,

Where in Minnesota are you located?

I have seen the A/C insulation mod posted before...I've had the insulation for a couple years just sitting in my garage. It will be nice to get an article online. I'm primarily interested in getting the A/C temp to drop during idle speeds while in rush hour. That's when it starts to get a little warm in the X! I also have 21% window tint (on top of the factory tint) which helps drastically when you're sitting in direct sunlight.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Crumm said:
What about the heater lines? Are they insulated? The ac is plenty cold for Alaska the way it is but if the heater lines are next to the ac lines I could benefit from insulating them.
If your summer temperatures stay in the 90 degree plus range this is a mod worthy of doing otherwise I wouldn't bother ;)

This is more a lower 48 mod :cowboy: To better your heat capacity upgrade to the 203 thermo :sweet

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Crumm said:
Been there done that.. Are the heater lines to the back insulated at the factory?
Without crawling under to double check I believe there is a covering of plastic wire loom over the pair of coolant lines.

Snowman269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
erlong said:
Snowman,

Where in Minnesota are you located?

I have seen the A/C insulation mod posted before...I've had the insulation for a couple years just sitting in my garage. It will be nice to get an article online. I'm primarily interested in getting the A/C temp to drop during idle speeds while in rush hour. That's when it starts to get a little warm in the X! I also have 21% window tint (on top of the factory tint) which helps drastically when you're sitting in direct sunlight.

DL, MN :sweet

Outside of the Navy, I have been in Mich my whole life.

BTW, my sig in Fordexcursions is dddenio

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great idea CHP !

With the black Ex and the HOT DFW temps....
I'm in !!!
Already did the tint and even the strip across the top of the windshield (which helped the glare between the visors when headed west !)

(Course I NEVER sit in back, but since my granddaughter does, I guess I'll do it !!!! )

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg