Exhaust for 99 SD

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Im in the market for a turbo back exhaust. What do you guys recommend? I want to put stacks on it. 5" aussies probably.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
MBRP has been good for me. I got the expensive stainless system, I need it up here where snow plows and road salt are used almost 6 months of the year.

Being further south, you could get away with a less expensive stainless system or maybe even an aluminized steel system. There are a lot of companies around. The only one I'll say to stay away from is Banks. Back in the days when I was pretty naive concerning 7.3 diesels, I got a Banks kit. After just 4 years, their "stainless" system was rusting thru. I pitched the entire P.O.S. in a dumpster. I have become much more "enlightened" over the last 11 years I have been driving my truck.

4" from turbo to tip is what most of us use. 5" is overkill unless you crazy extreme with mods.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Well we have salt here too so i'd probably get somethin like what you got. Yea the 4" turbo back is what i would get with 5" stacks. Im also wondering if i can make a valve under the bed so i can redirect the exhaust out the side cause eventually i am gettin a slide in truck camper so i would have to remove my stacks and run exhaust underneath. Ever hear of someone doin that? It wouldnt have to be a fancy valve since I would only use it every once in awhile. It would also have to be able to not get rusty or somethin since i wouldnt be usin it much.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
IMHO, in the situation you described, I'd forget about the stacks and just do a conventional exhaust system. It'd be a big PITA taking the stacks off everytime you wanted to put the camper on, valve or no valve.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
An exhaust cut-out wouldn't work for him?

He'll still have stacks he'd have to uninstall everytime he wanted to put the camper on the back. And then re-install them when he takes the camper back off. A very big PITA for the bit of silly vanity stacks provide.

Last edited:

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
If you use your bed, get a 4" turbo back. Cutouts will probably add quite a bit of drone. I regretted putting a 5" system on my 7.3. Seemed to lose a little on the bottom end.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Well if i could do it easily i would TRY and make them come off easily. Make it so they twist off or somethin but i would run into the prob if i dont take the stacks off enuff they would rust on. We all know about that when replacing an old exhaust system that is rusted on really good. If it is gonna be a pain i wouldnt make it come off i'd just figure somethin else out. I heard somewhere on another forum a guy used a flu valve from a fireplace. Granted he had these huge 7 or 8in stacks on his cummins. He used the valve whenever he put his camper shell back on. They might not make a valve small enough for my 5in exhaust. I think the electric exhaust cutouts wouldnt work too well since the diesel exhaust is hotter than a gassers exhaust? Id be afraid of melting the cutouts. This is all just an idea i had. So you guys are talkin about also a 5in system? I thought that would be overkill on this truck since i dont have any mods yet except the tymar setup. Eventually i would get a chip. Should i step up to 5in or just go with the 4in? I dont plan on modding this truck heavily.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14