Question Exhaust Smell in Cab

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil fill tube & Cap on tight from when you had the valve covers off ?

CCV hose back on tight ?

Just a couple'a S.W.A.G.'s JR

Sometimes, when you first crank it over.. a puff of intake air can blow back thru the intake.. fan blows it around under the hood, it gets suck into the heater core plenum. The part of the Heater/AC thats under the hood is Not as air tight as some would think. If any of the above are not sealed.. Whala.. Smells in the Cab.

Joe

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Oil fill tube & Cap on tight from when you had the valve covers off ?

CCV hose back on tight ?

Just a couple'a S.W.A.G.'s JR

Sometimes, when you first crank it over.. a puff of intake air can blow back thru the intake.. fan blows it around under the hood, it gets suck into the heater core plenum. The part of the Heater/AC thats under the hood is Not as air tight as some would think. If any of the above are not sealed.. Whala.. Smells in the Cab.

Joe

x2
good point

JRJ04

Reaction score
so is there a way i can seal it up tighter? i know its been off before when i had those injectors replaced. I know how to get the blower out, but how do you go about removing the box to expose the heater core?

I wouldnt mind sealing it up with some RTV sealant.

Your thoughts?

All of the above you stated Joe looks to be good as I gave it a quick look over the other day...but it wouldnt hurt to recheck.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so is there a way i can seal it up tighter? i know its been off before when i had those injectors replaced. I know how to get the blower out, but how do you go about removing the box to expose the heater core?

I wouldnt mind sealing it up with some RTV sealant.

Your thoughts?

All of the above you stated Joe looks to be good as I gave it a quick look over the other day...but it wouldnt hurt to recheck.

[Removing] ANYHING to do with the HVAC set-up.. is a ROYAL, PIA. I'd just look around at the under the hood parts and shoot a little RTV where the lines & hoses come & go.. in & out. As you can see, Ford doesn't use anything at all to seal those areas.. or at best, they use a little foam wrap.. (your truck is now 8 years old ?)

And FWIW ? At colder temps.. Dis-similar metals, (like where Steel pipe joins to Aluminum) expand and contract at different rates. Giving all the flange clamps a Tweak/Turn will often tighten things back up. (after 8 winters ;))

And..Now & Then, in the past year or three.. I get a Whiff of this... and a Sniff of that... but if there's NO fluids on the engine, or on the ground.. and all the fluid levels are, and stay, where they need to be... and after it warms up a bit (?) it don't stink ? I don't fret over it.

I look at it like....My 2K Dezel is getting "Seasoned".. just like Me :D:sly:):lmao

Joe

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
[Removing] ANYHING to do with the HVAC set-up.. is a ROYAL, PIA. I'd just look around at the under the hood parts and shoot a little RTV where the lines & hoses come & go.. in & out. As you can see, Ford doesn't use anything at all to seal those areas.. or at best, they use a little foam wrap.. (your truck is now 8 years old ?)

yep, got it in november of 01. Is it possible to remove the cover on the box to clean the coil really well instead of just shooiting that evap cleaner through there? I'd really like to seal that up tight.

And FWIW ? At colder temps.. Dis-similar metals, (like where Steel pipe joins to Aluminum) expand and contract at different rates. Giving all the flange clamps a Tweak/Turn will often tighten things back up. (after 8 winters ;))

so which ones would we be looking at? like the up pipes to the back of the turbo? downpipe? what else?

And..Now & Then, in the past year or three.. I get a Whiff of this... and a Sniff of that... but if there's NO fluids on the engine, or on the ground.. and all the fluid levels are, and stay, where they need to be... and after it warms up a bit (?) it don't stink ? I don't fret over it.

well when i mean cold, i mean the ambient air temp is cold. I get the smell no matter what the motor temp is.

I look at it like....My 2K Dezel is getting "Seasoned".. just like Me :D:sly:):lmao

Joe

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess the point I'm trying to make is: Before you start removeing major stuff.. go completly over the engine, giving All the intake and exhaust clamps and fittings a test for being tight.. if they will take 1/4 turn or +, do it. Paying close attention to what you took off, or loose, when you took the VC's off.

If you still get the smells in the Cab.. then you may, in fact, have a blown gasket.

Just trying to save you some time and PIA labor :dunno

JRJ04

Reaction score
If you still get the smells in the Cab.. then you may, in fact, have a blown gasket.

:eek:

I sure hope thats not the case. I would think I'd be seeing other issues from this, don't you? If the heat isnt on...no smell. Makes me think its something related to the HVAC system.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:eek:

If the heat isnt on...no smell. Makes me think its something related to the HVAC system.

Well now that you say that.. it's News to me. Never delt with a.. only when the heat is on.. smell. Unless you got some fuel in the heater core area......

Can't help ya with that one JR.. Maybe TG or JLD can jump in ???

Joe

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Well now that you say that.. it's News to me. Never delt with a.. only when the heat is on.. smell. Unless you got some fuel in the heater core area......

Can't help ya with that one JR.. Maybe TG or JLD can jump in ???

Joe

well, it's kind of hard to get fuel in the heater plenum without it being put there..

that's why I was thinking mold or fungus on the heater core..
there are various mold, mildew & fungus killers on the market designed for use in mobile AC systems..
check with your local parts store..

could even be a heater core starting to leak??? :dunno

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14