Extended tow hitch?

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Ok guys, still got my eyes set on somekind of slide in truck camper. Tryin to decide if I need to have my tail gate down to haul the camper, if its safe or a good idea to have an extended receiver hitch to haul my trailer? Are these things easy to use or good to use? Am I gonna run into probs? How do they work?:dunno

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, still got my eyes set on somekind of slide in truck camper. Tryin to decide if I need to have my tail gate down to haul the camper, if its safe or a good idea to have an extended receiver hitch to haul my trailer? Are these things easy to use or good to use? Am I gonna run into probs? How do they work?:dunno

I had an extended receiver hitch on an 11.5' Lance slide-in. Worked well. Pinned in to the truck receiver, like normal.. then it was bolted to the Lance bumper.. then the drop hitch/ball went on.

Made by Reece (IIRC). pulled a 24' Pontoon boat.. and a Metro (for Road trips) but yul need to know the tongue weight of what you wana pull... there Is a Max weight.. depending on extension length. (duh)

Joe

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the insight on it Joe!. Didnt know it bolted to the back of the camper. Makes sense. Do I just go to the scales and weigh the tongue weight or somethin?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the insight on it Joe!. Didnt know it bolted to the back of the camper. Makes sense. Do I just go to the scales and weigh the tongue weight or somethin?

;tu My extension made an upward bend.. to come out flush under the Lance bumper.. a small amount of the camper weight was transferred to the OEM receiver. The camper bumper bolts were there to help prevent any horizontal movement... due to the length of the exstention, also ?

A public scale would work.. but I'd bet you could go to most any RV dealer and get a Tongue weight too ??

Joe

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Lance is the only camper that ever had holes to bolt a hitch to and they have quit doing it that way. The back bumper of a camper is cosmetic and will rip off very easy.

Torklift Supertruss is the best option out there for large campers. The Reese Titan is the next best option.

My camper only needs a 18" extension so I built my own that is braced from the receiver extension to the bumper. I built it using a standard 18" extension. My camper sits on it but is not bolted to it. The upper link pulls up on the extension while pulling back on the bumper to remove some of the downward stress on the receiver. If my extension was longer or my trailers were bigger I would have a Supertruss.

Hitch006.jpg

Hitch007.jpg

Hitch004a.jpg

Hitch001a.jpg

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to ask....LOL How many times have you walked into the knee killer coming around the truck with something in your hands????

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I'm going to ask....LOL How many times have you walked into the knee killer coming around the truck with something in your hands????

:dunno huh. There is a camper sitting on top of it. When the camper is off the truck so is the hitch extension. Would be a killer if I left it on.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stroked, you should be able to find something here, may have to look for it. A few years back I had one just like Joe was telling you about. They work great if you have a cabover camper and don't over load your truck.
Doug

Hitch Adapter Hitch Accessories | etrailer.com

Thanks Doug & Crumm, I was looking for a link, but couldn't find it.

Kinda hard to explain without pics/illustrations.

Crumm (?), you gota hellofa set-up. ;tu

None of the tongue weight was on my camper bumper however.

Joe

Last edited:

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Thanks Joe, WD, and Crummy for all the info! You def have a sweet set up there crum! Im gonna try and find a camper that hardly has any overhang out the back. Im wondering if a set up like yours crum will work IF I have to have my tailgate down? Or is that too long and I will need to buy the supertruss or titan?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58