Extra fuel capacity

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bush, i was asking because i was wondering if it was possible to clear the code while driving and reset the guage. I know you dont have an 08 but the thought came to my mind. I have my laptop in my truck setup for GPS, it wouldn't take much to hook up AE. Just thinking outloud.

Mike -

On long trips i have run my laptop MS streets and trips connected to
my gps while ALSO connecting to my autoenginuity.

you can clear codes while the engine is running, and i would expect
that you could clear codes while MOVING too...although ive never
tried it.

you might consider the KSH Marine set up (its available separately).
Installation Kits

Nebraska - what model year did they start forcing the fuel gauge to
ZERO (im assuming theyre doing this on the 2008, since i hadnt heard
of that happening w/ the 05-07)

Last edited:

Mike K

يساعد المعركة لحرية
Reaction score
Ok Bush you gave me an idea,
So... will the truck trip a code if the fuel tank is filled up while you are driving. NOT like the TransferFlow system where it will slowly pump the fuel in. I mean, what if you had a high flow fuel pump to 'quickly' fill up the tank - by quickly i mean 1 gal per minute. Would it trip a code if it went from E to F in 15-30 minutes time WHILE moving?

Nebraska

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Mike, filling the tank with the key on will not set any codes, but the cluster will be in anti-slosh mode, causing the gauge to update at a snail's pace.

Nebraska

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Nebraska - what model year did they start forcing the fuel gauge to ZERO (im assuming theyre doing this on the 2008, since i hadnt heard of that happening w/ the 05-07)

Bush, anytime there is a DTC pertaining to the fuel sender circuits, the ICM defaults to a no fuel display (for safety reasons and to keep you from blowing up your engine). That strategy is present in many years of our vehicles.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bush, anytime there is a DTC pertaining to the fuel sender circuits, the ICM defaults to a no fuel display (for safety reasons and to keep you from blowing up your engine). That strategy is present in many years of our vehicles.

it makes sense...just wondering what year they started doing that...
it seems STUPID to me that they would take away the ablity for
a customer <or even ford themselves> to reprogram the tank size.

not to bash ford, they make a good product and im a happy owner...
they need to get a bit more involved w/ what their customers
are actually USING these trucks for.

while youre offering suggestions to ford-corp on what changes
they should make going forward...tell 'em to offer a double overdrive
so we can ALL get some better mpg outta these things.

Fulltilt3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the info. It sounds like I need to do more research. I am speaking with KSH Marine about a custom tank. It sounds as if I need to be able to tell the 2nd tank when to drain into my factory tank. If I can do that reliably I should be okay, right? We have a strategy mapped out, but I would like to be sure it will work reliably as designed before spending.

Bushpilot, how do you have your system set up? Is the computer going to be my limiting factor on this endeavor?

Thanks to all for the insightful conversation.

Nebraska

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Bush, the problem is with government (read: EPA) certification. Once a vehicle is built to a certain safety and emission certification, it is technically illegal for us (the OEM and dealerships) to modify it. All for that little door jamb sticker.

Last edited:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the info. It sounds like I need to do more research. I am speaking with KSH Marine about a custom tank. It sounds as if I need to be able to tell the 2nd tank when to drain into my factory tank. If I can do that reliably I should be okay, right? We have a strategy mapped out, but I would like to be sure it will work reliably as designed before spending.

Bushpilot, how do you have your system set up? Is the computer going to be my limiting factor on this endeavor?

Thanks to all for the insightful conversation.

FT3- I dont have an aux tank...but ive been looking at them & watching
the mfg's very closely almost since i bought this truck...i did a lot of
research when i was making monthly runs back and forth from houston
to virginia.

everyone like the transferflow stuff but its $$$$ and its a tough ROI when
you consider the expense per "additional" gallon over the factory tank
size.

I like the KSH Marine stuff...theyve taken the time to figure out
how to use the factory gauge and "transfer" fuel from the in bed tank
to the factory tank *OR* switch over to the in bed tank.

the KSH Marine prices are "reasonable" for an ALUM. (wont rust) tank,
and they look inexpensive when you compare 'em to transferflow.

Bush, the problem is with government (read: EPA) certification.
Once a vehicle is built to a certain safety and emission certification, it is technically illegal
for us (the OEM and dealerships) to modify it. All for that little door jamb sticker.

how does programming the TANK size impact EPA certification ?
its not like these things have EPA mandated MPG information on
the stickers.

all we're lookin to do is extend the RANGE <tank to tank> on these
thirsty beasts.

Nebraska

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Believe me, I'm with you on this one. Dual tanks are a factory option, you should be able to add the secondary if you didn't actually order it from the factory. I digress....

Keep in mind two things: emissions and safety. Ford can't approve aftermarket secondary tanks because they don't know how they would react in a collision. If Ford gives their stamp of approval, it heaps a big dose of liability on the company.

I'm an old car fanatic... customization is my game. Wish the OEMs could get on that bandwagon, but it's so regulated nowadays, I don't think it'll ever happen again. Too many wallets at stake.... :sigh:

Anyhow, as I put up previously, the only guaranteed way to have no issues is to have an auxiliary tank wired to, say, an upfitter switch so that when your primary tank gets low you can turn the truck off and fill it back up (like your own private gas station) Cheaper than the automatic systems and removable should you ever need to. Especially with an 08 if you ever need something warrantied. Just my 2c.

Last edited:

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
Hey Nebraska,

How would putting an aftermarket 55 gallon replacement belly tank in my 05 short bed, affect my gas guage, will it throw a CEL or SES light? I know people that have done it on 04's but not on a 05+

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58