Extra fuel capacity

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Nebraska,

How would putting an aftermarket 55 gallon replacement belly tank in my 05 short bed, affect my gas guage, will it throw a CEL or SES light? I know people that have done it on 04's but not on a 05+

you could go to the dealer and have 'em reprogram the distance
to empty (aka tank size) for a 38 gallon tank (which is the largest
factory tank).

but you can not program it for anything larger...ford locked that
feature out beginning w/ the 2004 model year.

any tank or total capacity more than 38 gallons will <basically> throw
a CEL & zero the fuel gauge if the gauge does NOT move from the full
mark after 200mi.

the ONLY real way around this is to run off the main (factory tank)
til the fuel gauge moves & then PUMP additional fuel into the tank
(which can be done, if set up right) on the fly.

GO BIG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been looking for quite a while for an additional tank so I do not get stranded in the one town selling fuel at 50c more per gallon.

Now looking at Northern's "Diesel Install Kit for Auxiliary Diesel Fuel Tank" I could put a pepcock on the transfer line and turn the flow off till I wanted to fill the primary so I would not get any codes.

Also while fueling I could just fill the secondary tank preventing me from having to do the harpoon mod to the primary tank since I would just have the pepcock open and wouldnt have to worry about foam.

Any comments?

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
then my truck is messed up because I just put 40.7 gals. in my truck and the tank is OEM. HUMMMMM!! :dunno

you wouldnt be alone there...ive done that too....
verify the max display to empty and youll understand
what were talkin' about.

ive STUFFED 40g onto my tank too...but if the fuel
gauge doesnt move in 200 mi then youll get a CEL too !

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been looking for quite a while for an additional tank so I do not get stranded in the one town selling fuel at 50c more per gallon.

Now looking at Northern's "Diesel Install Kit for Auxiliary Diesel Fuel Tank" I could put a pepcock on the transfer line and turn the flow off till I wanted to fill the primary so I would not get any codes.

Also while fueling I could just fill the secondary tank preventing me from having to do the harpoon mod to the primary tank since I would just have the pepcock open and wouldnt have to worry about foam.

Any comments?

This is what I did. I also didn't do the harpoon mod when I installed my pre-pump filter since I mostly fill from the aux fuel tank.

The biggest downside to filling from the aux fuel tank is that you no longer can accurately estimate your fuel mileage. The other is forgetting to shut off the fuel valve and getting that dang gum P-460 CEL code after 200 miles. About the only real downside to having a 1200-1500 mile range.

This might help you also: http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.c...talling an Aux Fuel Tank paper 2007-06-18.pdf

Good luck.

Al

Last edited:

Fulltilt3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that link. I feel much more confident about setting up my own system now. I have not decided which way I am going to go at this point, but that was a very helpful write up.

acende

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I live in San Diego were diesel is now at $4.55 -$4.85 a gallon as I speak. It's been crazy this last year. In Tijuana the price is around $2.50 a gallon. I want to add an additional tank( in bed would be fine) so far it sounds like adding a tank and having a pump is the easiest way and cheapest way to go. My dad has an additional tank on his 96 Dodge that uses a gravity feed but if I understand correctly that will cause headaches. (foaming fuel and gauge mis reads) If I could add an additional 40 or more gallons it would be worth it to me to buy fuel in Tj.I don't have a problem with stopping to refuel my main tank from the second tank. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

acende

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
After getting no responses I reread this thread especially the link just before my post. Thanks Al, for all your research and hard word! I 'm going to pass the link on to other people who are interested in auxiliary tanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58