f550 E BRAKE ADJUSTMENT????

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello i was wondering if anybody knows how to adjust the E brake on a 2000 F550 dually two wheel drive. i have looked at it and i keep thinking i have to pull the entire rear end apart at the spindle to do it but i think that would be insane to be designed that way. Anybody have some helpful hints on this thing.View attachment 11607

View attachment 11608

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
If you are familiar with adjusting drum brakes, the procedure will be the same, there is a small rubber cap that covers a star wheel. remove the cap, take a small flat blade screw driver, spin the wheel to expand the shoes.

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay i understand the process you explained but i cant find any kind of removable rubber insert, could it be that i should take the screw out of the little backing plate that is in the picture, maybe the star is behind that plate on this model,?? i looked really hard i must be missing something

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
I looked close at your pic, and am not seeing what I was looking for. on the backing plate on the Dana 80 (yours is a Dana 110) there is a 1.5 inch rubber cover... just a guess... perhaps on the top half of your axle?.... the e brake is just a set of thin walled drum brake shoes. that utilize the inside of the "hat" on the disk brakes. if you remove tension from the brakes you should be able to remove the disk with out too much fuss.

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay i think i understand your best guess. remove the tension on the cables leading to the drum and then remove the screw in the steel backing plate so i can see inside. is that what your saying.?
Also there is no openings on top of the axle.
the one difference is that picture i showed you is the passenger side. on the drivers side the backing plate and where the cable goes into the drum is on top instead of the bottom

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:dunno I've adjusted mine by tightening the bracket with the turnbuckle w/lock-nuts.. where the one cable from the front.. connects to the two that go to the Rear brake assemblies ??

Worked for me :dunno

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i finally gave up and took it to the freightliner shop, i will let you know what they say tomorrow, i couldnt find anyway inside this housing. Bummer if i can get out of the shop for under 200.00 i will be happy.

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay the freightliner dealer did it for $274.00 and apparently you have to remove the disc brake calipers to access the E Brake assy. so next time i will know how to do it.

Expensive lesson.

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes it is working they had to take the brakes off to get to one side to access the EBrake becasuse it was stuck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14