Fifth Wheel Hitches

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
I was surfing over on our sister site, neat
and was looking around and a thought occured to me.... WOW
i see all these folks here and there with fiver hitches rated at 20k, 22k and 18k.
why would you put in a hitch thats way over rated for your rated load?
I have a tow boss and as I sit I am rated to pull a fiver up to 18k
my rv weighs in at just a smidgen under 14k and I have a 15K hitch.
my 2002 was rated to fiver pull 12,500, so we were a few over hitched.
but i see folks with a truck that is rated to pull 12,500lb carrying a 20k hitch?
what am i missing

yes i know everyone pulls 30k routinley :eek: but i am trying to stay within guidelines

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed the same thing. I asked my local RV Dealer/Repair guy (real strait shooter) the same question. He sez: "Thats What Folks Want", Over kill. He tryz to tell'm they DONT need a 20K hitch for a 10-12K FW but....:dunno thats what they want, so he sells & installs it. He also sez that when they're Finance'n the whole "RIG" , whats a few bucks more (?), is kinda thier think'n.

I'v got a 15K Husky, for my 12K Montana... Suits me just fine.

JOE

s d mills

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run an RBW Li'l Rocker 15K, but may eventually have to pick up a 22K head and legs for my rails. Some RV Transport/Dealer-Broker outfits require it. July, I'll have to replate from 11K to 26K.

I've thrown the same argument at them....why plate/equip beyond the GCWR of my vehicle especially when I don't tow anything that's even close besides my own 5er? The only response that even comes close to making sense is one told me their towaway division has F-450/550, C60, semi tractors, and such signed on and uniform requirements for the entire division make the paperwork and filings easier.

A CDL is also required and they're arguing they don't have to reimburse me when it's law that they do. All the FEMA crap screwed everything up for us part-timers.

Sucks!

snowrider

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
cdl

You can't even have 2 drivers whith a pickup unless it has a dot sleeper.Like you said FEMA rely messed it up.i was to take campers from indiana to mississippi,it had started out to pay 1600.Not no more.After the first it changed to 1.10 a mile.It was a 900 mile trip.FEMA>>>>>>>>>>messed it up. JOHN

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello SnowRider, and welcome to SSD.com. Think you will like it here.
I have an Reese 18,000 K in my truck. This is the 3rd truck it has been in and I feel very safe pulling my 12500 HitchHiker with it. We are looking at new Fifth-Wheels that will go 16,500 or a little over. I will still feel safe with the hitch and new RV or the 32 foot long Neck-Over and a D-4 Cat.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
If my pops decides to get a 5ver like he's been saying, what are my options on hitches. -popcorn

I have a welded in plate gooseneck ball already. I think I already know what I have to do with that but just wondered what more experienced haulers would recommend.

How big is ~12k lb 5ver? He doesn't want anything huge.

Thanks!

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
I'm thinking the B&W setup. Not sure if I would trust the Pop-up adapter to it's capacity with my welded GN. Guess I'll end up cuttin that sucker out.

Is that your trailer's weight when wet fully loaded for a trip? Gotta go get the 100ft tape out and lay it down behind the truck.:D

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
we can go as high at 14800 right now at 38 feet of rolling five star comfort
but we are looking at upgrading the axles to 7k each which would put us up to the mid 15k closer to 16k
for total weight allowed or gvwr, seems our trailer frame manufacter useses teh same set up for teh 13.8k and 15.5k models so an axle swap and new wheels would set us closer to the 16k
i get nervous at 13.8k so if we do go higher I see an 650 in the future.. see there is a madness to upgrading, daddy gets a new truck :cool:

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Being a little F-250 I don't want to get too overloaded.

Besides if dad ever decides to work his CTD, I wouldn't want to make it cry for the Ford to come relieve it.:roflmao :roflmao

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14