Filling oil filter

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
How many of you fill your oil filter with oil before you install it? I've always done it on my vehicles but most shops around here just let them knock and fill up on there own.

police stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ummmm I always do so there is no oil starvation in the system. just my 2 cents even walmart fills them up on the diesel filters.

fgtex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oil filter

This is my first diesel. The first oil change, I did not fill the filter, and I thought I damaged my truck. I made all kind of noise and died. I had to restart it and listen to it beat around before it got the oil moving throught the filter. When performing the second oil change I filled the filter with almost two quarts of oil and heard almost no 'problems'. Just like any another start-up. I will always fill the oil filter from now on.

fgtex

Reaction score
I use to do mine on the 7.3 - didn't fill them to the tip top like some guys do - never had a problem.

6.0 though - there is no pre-filling as it's a canister type filter.

Ron

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
I do because I'm anal like that. But I do not believe it is really a big deal or we would have heard something as long as the 7.3 has been around. Just my .02!:dunno

Dieselpwrdredneck

Addicted2Diesel
Reaction score
i dont, never gave me a problem dont really make noise hasnt hurt anything and i've change my own oil for 3 years so far just my 2 cents

Neal

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
I always fill them when they are vertical but the Accord has a horizontal filter so it is not possible.

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
f100cleveland said:
How many of you fill your oil filter with oil before you install it? I've always done it on my vehicles but most shops around here just let them knock and fill up on there own.
If at all possible, i fill it first. The way i look at it is that the pump runs throught he filter first, then to everything else. So, it has to fill the filter (something like 2 quarts!) before anything else gets oil. That could take a lot of seconds of running without oil pressure.

Just my :2c

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14