Filling oil filter

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
whatabudro said:
yepper, I'll take the same oil your pourin on top of the motor unfiltered over a dry metal to metal, contact any day. Take into consideration this, manual can kiss my arse, would you rather have clean fresh, unfiltered oil, or dirty metal fragment filled oil filling your cylinder walls until it runs out. That's a no-brainer, come one guys, take some of that oil your going to pour in unfiltered anyway, until it finds the filter, and save some scabs on the cylinder walls. We don't have to get get all scientific about it, it's common sense.
What do you think happens inside your engine each and every time you start it? Unless you are using a pre-oiler you are spinning metal to metal until your oil pressure comes up.

Again, I have never pre-filled a filter on a fresh change.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
deeretrac said:
most engine operators manuals say NOT to prefill because of unfilterd oil
That is correct. Most all manuals I have ever seen say not to pre-fill. It is in big BOLD letters in Caterpillar manuals. I have never pre-filled and never will. Other than the unfiltered oil argument it is also a good way to make a big ol mess when you drop it on your head.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HI Crumm,

You've peeked my interest..... How 'bout when you just do 2 Filters with 2 1/2 qts for a synthetic oil change.... Just change the filters and Add 2 1/2 quarts to the CC??

Kind of a Dumb question, but worth asking..... from a guy that ALLWAYZ pre-charges filters. I can kinda see why, >maybe<, now that I think about it

Last edited:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I guess you lost me? 2 filters? 2 1/2 quarts to the CC?

I just woke up so my brain is still set on low..

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crumm said:
I guess you lost me? 2 filters? 2 1/2 quarts to the CC?

I just woke up so my brain is still set on low..

What I mean is: I'm about to do an Oil Maintenence type Change.. Normaly, I Pre-charge the engine Oil Filter (1 1/2qts) and the By-pass oil filter (1 Qt) and install'm. Yer saying: Just install the 2 filters >DRY< and add 2 1/2 quarts tto the Crank Case ??

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Yeah thats it. I put all the oil in the crankcase and fire it up. The oil filter is filled in a second or two by the oil pump, no mess, no contamination.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
I pre-fill the spin-on filter and have never (knock on wood) spilled oil on my head. :D At best I'd call it a pre-filter. The pre-filter lets particles below 20 to 30 microns stay in the oil. Most of the HEUI injector wear is from particles between 5 and 30 microns. I don't believe a couple of quarts of virgin oil in the pre-filter in my vehicle is worse than dirty oil in a vehicle without a bypass setup. That's one reason why I run a 1-2 micron oil bypass setup.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crumm said:
Yeah thats it. I put all the oil in the crankcase and fire it up. The oil filter is filled in a second or two by the oil pump, no mess, no contamination.

Well.... Prolly "Old School" thinking but, I'v allwayz had a concern about the "Hammer" of oil, coming into a >Dry< filter medium, under pressure. And, the lack of lubrication issues.

I think I'll stay with pre-chargeing.... Prolly 6 of 1, half dozen of the other.

JOE

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
What do you think happens inside your engine each and every time you start it? Unless you are using a pre-oiler you are spinning metal to metal until your oil pressure comes up.

Again, I have never pre-filled a filter on a fresh change.

I see I did not fully explain myself while enjoying my adult beverages last night.;)

I know that its a dry start everytime I start it up, and thats why I precharge so I do not extend the dry start. Make sense:p

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
This is one of those issues that is a fun debate but never ends in any kind of resolution. Its a personal choice to or not to prefill, there probably is not hard evidence one way or the other if it is helpful or harmful. Most of us probably do it or dont do it based upon "what dad did".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14