New Member Finkstr

FINKSTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fellow Gentlemen... and Superduty ladies,
FINALLY! I have found a website that caters to the real people out here who LOVE their diesels! By way of background... My love affair with diesels bagan in 1986 when I purchased a Ford Tempo diesel. By far the most satisfying car I have ever owned. Easily gave me 50 mpg! Not fast by any means, but who cares when I get such effeciency. My current vehicle is a 1999 F250 Superduty that I use to pull my 30' fifth wheel camper. Not satisfied with its performance, I installed the Banks Powerpack system. AMAZING difference, although the noise level is driving me nuts! I'm looking forward to seeing how others have dealt with this. The good news, however, is that it gives me a constant 21mpg. When pulling the trailer I get 8mpg at 60mph w/o overdrive. When I can, I use the OD and get about 13mpg. The trick is to get the speed up high enough to be able to use the OD.
In any case... I LOVE my diesel.
By way of background... I am a retired Ford Enginner. I spend my spare time in my "man cave" working on my '99 F250 as well as my '53 F100 flathead that I am restoring. Great fun on both accounts.

Last edited:

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard FInkstr, glad to have you. I forgot about Ford having a Tempo diesel. They need to bring back diesels in small cars. No sense in letting Volkswagen get ahead of them. 50 MPG!!!! Since they're now saying that "yesterday's 20 mpg is today's 30 mpg", your 50 mpg car would be at least a 60 mpg car today.

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FInkster,

I too started dieseling around 86 actually was around 87 with a Toyota pickup that got around 30 mpg. I trade a VW new beetle that got around 44 in for my wife a Jetta TDI that gets 48-50. The PSD I'm in right now is showing 18.7 on the lie- o- meter. I love dieseling

By the way :SDD

Last edited:

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finkstr, hello and welcome to SSD.com. May I ask why you lock your
O/D out when pulling your fifth wheel? Your truck should pull the fiver
in O/D with no problen.
Doug

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Finskter, you got any pictures of the 53 F100 you're restoring? I want a 53 as my classic project truck!

FINKSTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finkstr, hello and welcome to SSD.com. May I ask why you lock your
O/D out when pulling your fifth wheel? Your truck should pull the fiver
in O/D with no problen.
Doug

WD40... Regarding your question about locking out the OD: When pulling the fifth wheel and I try to keep my speed between 55 and 60. At that speed I find that the trans downshifts quite a bit when in OD, particularly in hilly areas. RPM is around 1700. It doesn't seem to have enough power to handle the hills. The axle ratio is 3.73. Any thoughts???

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WD40... Regarding your question about locking out the OD: When pulling the fifth wheel and I try to keep my speed between 55 and 60. At that speed I find that the trans downshifts quite a bit when in OD, particularly in hilly areas. RPM is around 1700. It doesn't seem to have enough power to handle the hills. The axle ratio is 3.73. Any thoughts???

One thought ? With 3.73's, try running @ 62 MPH, 1850 RPM ? Let your torque pull the load.... anticipate the hills by building some boost.

I think yul find the Downshifts to be Much less ??

Long or steep hills (?) do the OD lockout.. before you get there. (duh ;))

Joe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58