First B20 Fill

CHPMustang

Reaction score
B20 is pretty watery compared to B50,there's definitely something up with their supply as it might be a carpy batch.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
B20 is pretty watery compared to B50,there's definitely something up with their supply as it might be a carpy batch.

I just got off the phone with the fuel station's store manager. They've had no complaints this past weekend.

He told me that it's blended locally with premium diesel for better pour point and they still add anti-gel. Supposed to be good to -20.:dunno He's only had one customer say they DIDN'T have to change filters after the first load. He thinks my tank is getting scrubbed.

If he's right, I've got to figure out what the white, waxy substance in the housing and filter is. The inside of the housing looked almost like a frying pan that sat overnight after frying a burger.:dunno To me that's unfiltered veggie oil.

This is going to get expensive. The filter I installed yesterday doesn't have 50 miles on it and the restriction gauge is already up to 7.5 in HG and fuel pressure's erratic again.:( Bob said I'll be ok if I keep it under 10 in HG. I'm going to go top off with some #2 to see if that helps any. I'm also sending Bio-Willie an e-mail.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
rooster
you def. should NOT be getting waxy, fry daddy looking residue.
somebody messed up the blend or its got a chit load of entrained solid things

even my turkey frying oil is clear down to freezing.
does your retailer have filters set up on the dipsensing hose or is he relying on an outside source to filter it before it goes in his tank?
and is his b20 tank a dedicated tank that never had any other fuel in it?
and if not, when was it stripped or scrubbed?
what is his normal fuel load ? is he selling 2k gallons a week or is it much lower.

back in the day onboard ship we ran into issuse with jp fuel getting the waxy stuff, and it always came back to the stripping and cleaning process of the service tank.
holes blown in filters and WATER and entrained unidentified solids.

and here in alabama the beautiful ;) my favorite station has clogged my filters more than once with odd things that shouldnt be in fuel (sand and gunky stuff)
what is bio willie using as there source for bio? is it all veggie, or does it have corn, peanut, or any other weird stuff folks cook with?
keep us posted I am embarrassed i didnt read this earlier.

from willies site

"Biodiesel has a higher gel point. 100% Biodiesel, referred to as B100, gets slushy at 32°F. A blend of 20% Biodiesel, 80% regular diesel, B20, has a gel point of 7°F. Like regular diesel, the gel point can be lowered further with additives such as kerosene, which are blended into winter diesel in cold-weather areas"

"We sell Biodiesel, which is the name of a clean burning, renewable diesel fuel replacement made from vegetable oils or animal fats. The methyl ester of vegetable oil or what we now call Biodiesel is very similar to the petrochemical based diesel fuel that it replaces, so does not require any vehicle or storage modifications. "

http://www.wnbiodiesel.com/BioWillieSmartTankCatalog.pdf
i read the whole 27 page book, no mention of filters????
does your retailer have the tank setup bio willie recommends?
betting the formula is nixed

Last edited:

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
To put it shortly Robert,:dunno .

The station is a big rig travel center, one side of pumps B20 the other #2. I see big rigs on the B20 side regularly when going to the farm. They've had it for awhile so I don't think any other fuel has been in their tank. I would assume they follow Willie's recommendations, I don't think they could get away with out it.:dunno

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
if they are running a large volume,
then i would look at your tank inerds?
have you dropped it and looked inside?

you may have just super cleaned your entire fuel system.... #2 is pretty dirty

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
I dropped the tank back in the summer when I got a load of basically water. Cleaned it out real good. It was prolly close to 20k miles ago. I've got to get some more filter elements, I may drop the tank again if I get a chance. Maybe I can get the boys down in Lubbock to help this weekend.:D

I think I got a bad batch of Bio, I don't think anything in #2 would look like fry daddy residue.:dunno

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Antonio,next time if you fill up with the B20,take a clean glass spaghetti jar with lid and fill it up with what you're putting in the tank to see if the sample separates or does anything unusual.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Thanks!

I may get it done before then. This crap is starting to annoy me the more I think about it. I really want to see what the tank looks like inside. I didn't top off with #2 yet. I do know that my mileage has dropped some but it's been too cold to make any real judgements on that.

My schedule with the kids just got all screwed up again with the ex-old lady starting a new job this week. I may have a chance to drop it tomorrow. I'd still like to get together possibly this weekend. I'll shoot you a PM.:sweet

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
next time if you fill up with the B20,take a clean glass spaghetti jar with lid and fill it up with what you're putting in the tank to see if the sample separates or does anything unusual.

Wow! :roflmao We think alike, I was just thinking about going and buying a gallon to see what I get.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14