First Impression After Cleaning Turbo & FICM tuning

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
OK, I promise this is the last thread I mention cleaning the turbo. I just wanting to give my first impressions of how it seemed to help/solve the surging problem I was starting to have.

I think when it comes down to it, putting in a new VGT solenoid was key and cleaning/resurfacing was just a plus. The surging that was beginning to occur, is now gone. Throttle response is quicker and smooth. The turbo really seems to spool up nice & quick and even seems to whistle just a tad louder.

Along with the newly tuned FICM by PHP, it finally has all come together.

Before the tuning, my start ups were sluggish and cold, even in the hot summer months. The "crossing the street to avoid on coming traffic response" is much better too. Before I had to wait until cars were way back up the road, for fear of getting hit because the truck just had no get up and go for the first few seconds of throttle up.

All in all I am so glad that I decided to dive right in & tackle this project.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
I wouldn't call me a pioneer, maybe just someone who wanted to save a few
bucks.gif
, but I appreciated the nice words Al. :thumbs

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
how much money/time did you have in the project??... my turbo is surging really bad these days and I know that one of these days its going to crap out on me... maybe this is something I could do to buy me a few more miles on my stock turbo??

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
how much money/time did you have in the project??... my turbo is surging really bad these days and I know that one of these days its going to crap out on me... maybe this is something I could do to buy me a few more miles on my stock turbo??

New VGT solenoid = 251.82 (they sold it to me at cost + 10%) List price = 351.77 :eek:
Compressor housing O-ring = 8.87
FICM Tuning Including S&H both ways = 134.25 (34.25 for was S&H)
Kobalt 1/4 right angle grinder and 3M sanding discs, scuff pads, emory cloth = 89.35
New lower water hose from pump to degaus bottle (mine was broke) = 35.00

Grand Total in parts & supplies = 519.29

I figure I had to save somewhere around 750.00 in labor, could be more, could be less.

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, if you dont mind me asking, why not do an sct tuner? Just curious? Then you could go back and forth?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14