First long fifthwheel pull with new 6.7 PSD

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep.. Tow/Haul only. The route from here to the coast is mostly over the Coast Range.. hill after hill and rolling terrain. The 6.7 did it All with ease, effortless seems like. Used Manual for the long grades, in 5th @ 55 (Cali legal limit, towing) @ 2400 rpm. It woulda/coulda gone up quicker.. NO Doubt.. but I didn't wana push it any..just yet.

I miss knowing my EGT's.. guna halfta look into that I think.

JMO but the 10W30 shouldn't have hurt anything.. and besides.. FORD put it in there. If there was, or is any issues... It's on FORD ??

Enjoy Florida........

Joe

RSharrer

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thinking of selling the ol' 99 and getting a new 2013 f250. Hoping there are some end of year deals out there. We tow a Rockwood fifth wheel with a GVWR under 10K and the 7.3 pulls it fine. Just thinking of the increased power and comfort of the new fords and it is time. Researching this I have a few questions someone here may be able to help me with. 1. Which axle ratio is everyone happy with? 2. What is the "AdvanceTrac with roll stability control? 3. Is the trailer sway control needed towing a 5er? 4. What does the camper package include and is it necessary with a 5er? 5. What is the "suspension package"? 6. What are the arguments for/against the different tire sizes (17", 18", and 20")? I've never had anything except the old 16's. Not interested in looks, just practicality. 7. What is the LCD productivity screen? Same as the "Message Center"? Thanks! Roger in Elk Grove, Calif

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
I had a 2011 F250 CC SWB 4x4 with 3.55 e-locking diff and it pulled my 10k TT just fine and got decent (17-18) empty highway mileage. My 2012 F350 DRW has 3.73, and obviously gets worse MPG but pulls better. (I didn't upgrade trucks for the current TT. Looking for a 5'er toyhauler soon.)

1. I have heard of people towing with the 3.33 but I would stick with the 3.55. The towing guide states that a LS is not available, if this is the case get the e-locking rear diff.
2/3. AdvanceTrac and trailer sway control are standard. The system senses vehicle motion and applies the brakes/limits power to control traction and stability. Don't know about sway control for a 5'er. It does make a difference with a TT though.
4. Camper package includes a rear sway bar and heavier front and rear spring ratings. It also gives the truck a slide in camper certification. My 250 did not come with a rear sway bar. I added a Hellwig Big Wig rear sway bar and airbags (a must with these trucks due to thier soft riding springs). Both made a huge difference. If you plan to add these you wouldn't need the camper package.
5. There are various suspension packages. The camper package being one. (Again, I would recommend adding a set of airbags and maintaining a good empty ride.)
6. Certain options may or may not be available based on wheel size. Pretty much looks.
7. LCD screen is pretty cool. Lots of features including a way to track the mileage you put on you trailer. I think the message center is just a two line digital display and not an interactive screen. My '11 had the screen and my '12 has the LCD. LCD is way better.

I highly recommend getting sync and satellite radio. My '12 has the 5'er prep package. It is nice not having rails in the truck but the hitch options are limited. Ford sells one but you can get the same hitch from Reese cheaper.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I also went from a 7.3 to a 6.7. Never once regretted it.

Cratos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my first tow I had about 5,000 miles on it the trip was about 300 miles and got about 11.5 going again in a few weeks I have about 10,000 on it now so it might be getting broke in and better mileage :) we'll see next month.
just changed the oil for the second time (every 5000 for me) with motrocraft 10w30.

JoeCamper

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Wow! I wish I could report fuel mileage like that. It seems like I average about 10 MPG no matter what. I'm pulling a 15,500 pound 40 foot fifth wheel and I now have 16,000 miles on my truck. Maybe the difference is the gear ratio? I've wondered about using a tuner to improve mileage, but I'd be worried about voiding the warranty.

waynebudke

Chris
Reaction score
Joe I feel your pain. With the rear gear I have I too am stuck at teh 10MPG mark in my 2011 with 60K on the clock. I pull a 13K toyhauler and it doesn't seem to matter where or how I pull. Would love to have some improvement on the mileage and I am t that point where warranty doesn't matter much. The 2.0 reflash on the 2011's really screwed the mileage. All for 13 more horsepower to keep up with Ram.

JoeCamper

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Joe I feel your pain. With the rear gear I have I too am stuck at teh 10MPG mark in my 2011 with 60K on the clock. I pull a 13K toyhauler and it doesn't seem to matter where or how I pull. Would love to have some improvement on the mileage and I am t that point where warranty doesn't matter much. The 2.0 reflash on the 2011's really screwed the mileage. All for 13 more horsepower to keep up with Ram.

Hmmm...was the mileage better before the flash? That's why I think a tuner may help.

waynebudke

Chris
Reaction score
2011 250 mileage

Hmmm...was the mileage better before the flash? That's why I think a tuner may help.
After doing some research before I bought mine I found several articles on teh 2011 F250's getiing mileage in the twentys. Ford came out with a mandatory reflash of the ECU and people started complaining about a significant drop in mileage. This was only on the 2011 250's. The flash increased the power to 400 and 800 as is currently the standard. Before if I rememember right it was like 385 and 760. But it absolutely killed the mileage and once the ECU was reflashed there was no changing it back. Mike Davidson in Jax started asking people what they wanted against fords directive as they were tired of being screamed at by owners that lost 6-8 MPG after the flash to 2.0 on their trucks. According to one source the only cure is to find a 2011 ECU that has never been updated and have in installed at an estimated cost of around 1500 dollars. One more reason I am positive the manufacturers and big oil are in cahoots with each other. We all know they can make these trucks pull and get respectable mileage but they wont do it.

:stir

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Ford has been playing this game for some time. My 2004 6.0 was reflashed by Ford with a mandatory update and I saw my boost go down AND my mpg's go down.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58