First long fifthwheel pull with new 6.7 PSD

FSupperSchuttler

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Depends on exactly what you really want. If you want the best, most comfortable towing, get a DRW truck. If you are 10% against a DRW get an F350 SRW, then last choice would be an F250. Personally, I see absolutely no reason to ever buy another F250 if I ever plan on towing a 5th wheel. I've towed with an F250 and will never buy one gain for a 5th wheel and I much prefer a long bed. I don't need a slider hitch and I don't have to worry about hitting the cab, both are benefits to the long bed. I now tow a 43 foot 5th wheel toy hauler with a 2015 F450 and would not even go back to an F350 DRW for my current trailer.

A friend of mine sold his motor home and bought a 40 foot plus 5th wheel about year ago. I told him not to buy an F250 for his 5th wheel as it was too big and he'd be trading within about a year but he bought the F250 anyways. He just traded his one year old F250 to a 2016 F450. RV owners seem to trade up so I suggest getting the right truck to start with and be done with the truck part.

Thank you for your advice C130H.. I am going with a 350 SRW, and If the cost isn't much more I just may go DRW... Getting ready to get one here in a few more months... Wish me luck...

C130H

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Drive both of them and see what you think. I think you'd be okay with your current weights with the F350 SRW but I love my DRW after towing with both. They are a little bit more expensive and of course you have the extra width. It took me a couple of weeks to get used to it but now don't think much about it, just have to watch certain areas.

FSupperSchuttler

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am not new to 350 DRW, I used to drive horse trailers when I was in the Army stationed at Fort Sill, OK.. I was assigned to the Field Artillery Half section with the show Horses.. I drove the Equipment trailer with the F350.... I would think I would like the stability of the Dully, so I am fine with that.. I just hope I can get a good used one for not to much and low mileage..

carbonation

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the truck and successful haul.
10w30 is the factory fill, and the dealer installing 10w30 actually did you right. While the manual states thats severe service is pulling a trailer for more than 1000 miles, please consider that they had to put something in their for the morons that are gonna run their truck through an iffy lube quick change, and that's enough to scare someone into a 5w or 15w40 which covers Ford's butt.
Truth is, modern 10w30's are more than capable of taking pretty much whatever you throw at them.I run Delo 15w30 Severe Duty. There is no compelling reason IMO to move to a 40 weight unless it just gives you peace of mind. Motorcraft oil would be fine, made by Conoco-Phillips, for all practical purposes it's their fleet oil without the Ti additive. It meets Ford's spec for the valve train, and if travelling, any Ford dealer will have it, as well as DIY from WalMart. (Not that I've ever dropped oil in a campground... :) )
Shell Rotella is a good 10w30, but IMO has a tendency to disappear a bit more rapidly. Valvoline Premium Blue is your sleeper, it just performs well. Got some spare cash? Schaeffer oil, by far, would be my go to, but the stuff is approaching 30 a gallon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58