first problem in 6 years

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, I have been on here for awhile and would like to think I have helped out a time or two. I know have a problem and need some advice.
I fired the truck up this morning after having it plugged in last night (13 degrees) it sounded a little funny when I started it but i went back inside to finish getting ready for work. I could tell right away driving it down the street that something wasn't right, it was kind of bucking and running rough. I got off the side road onto a main road with a 50MPH speed limit and it shook pretty good at 50MPH. By now i figured the fuel had gelled on me. I decided to take back roads and not the highway to my shop and the truck died in the middle of an intersection. Called for help and my brother showed up to tow me out of the intersection. I actually got it running and to the shop. At the shop I let it run after putting in half a bottle of diesel fuel conditioner. (forgot to say that I pulled over and unplugged the EGR when it was running rough in case that was the problem) I plugged the EGR back and after letting it run for awhile I shut it down, disconnected the batteries to reset the computer and fired it up again to see if that would help, nothing.

Went to work for the day hoping it would warm up enough to defrost whatever went wrong, had a set of new fuel filters delivered to the scale house at the yard I haul from, finished the day and put them in. I fired up the truck and it was the same, low on power, running rough etc... I pulled back into the shop and it stalled, shut it down and pulled the engine mount
filter cap again because it would not start again. No fuel where the filter is supposed to go. I dumped some fuel in the filter housing and reinstalled the filter to try and prime it, no go.

I am thinking maybe a sensor of some sort or fuel pump???? oil level is good. Water / antifreeze level is good. (a little sludge on the side of degas bottle, is that normal?)

Thanks for the help in advance guys!

nascar_fan28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you have a heated garage you can park it in over night? let truck warm up and see if that helps?

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its in the heated shop now, but it warmed up past 35 today and it is worse than it was this morning. I will try again in the morning. I couldn't even get it to start after awhile (it had been in the shop for over two hours)

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
Low power

Did you try changing the fuel filter on the frame rail too? that filter housing doubles as the fuel pump which should fill the smaller filter housing on the engine. If the pumps on it's way out grab a fuel pressure tester and check that. Any DTC's in the PCM?

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No CEL and no DTC's (at least what I can see with my cheap generic scanner) I did change both fuel filters so the fuel filters are good. I know the fuel is good because the fuel that is in the truck is the same that I put in my big trucks, delivered at the same time. I put in more than enough diesel additive to try and clean up the fuel just in case the fuel was the problem.

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
Fuel

I'm still thinking you have a fuel problem or a high pressure oil system issue, does your generic scanner let you read live data? If you can get to the IPR try and jump it with a full 12 volts and see if the truck starts.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I had a hard starting problem a little while back and it turned out to be the FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module). Ford changed mine and all of my hard starting problems went away. It did throw some codes, but I don't remember the numbers. It said that 1,3,5,7 were low and 2,4,6,8 were low also. Those were the injectors not getting fired (low) properly, but it did run fine after it was hot.

Dave

atk

Reaction score
does the fuel pump seem louder then normal???? check for fuel pressure, there is a test port on the engine mounted fuel filter housing where this can be checked.

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking FICM, but it doesn't run well hot or cold, it won't run at all right now. Forgot to add that I thought of a low voltage problem so I hooked it to the battery charger to try and start it.
I am still leaning towards a fuel / FICM or sensor problem mainly because I turned the truck over with the top fuel filter cap off and wasn't getting any fuel up there. I even tried to dump some fuel in there to try and prime the system. NO GO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58